Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Three years ago my Safire started acting funny around my granddaughter

Three years ago my Safire started acting funny around my granddaughter as soon as she come he get very anxiety and goes and hide in the loo but then he bite the woodwork
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
How old is your granddaughter?
How has she interacted with alfie in the past?
Has Alfie gotten hurt by her inadvertently?
Does she or has she tried to hug him?
Has he been reprimanded for any behavior toward your granddaughter?
What obedience training has he had?
Is alfie a Staffordshire Terrier?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My granddaughter is 12 him and her got on the better of friend utill about three years ago she have never be alone with him so l know she never hurt him ,she was bought up with Staffordshire terriers as l had two be for Alfie .he went to puppy school went he was small .this is something I find hard to handle Alfie is one of the family but this is getting me down now
Georgie,
.
I'm not sure why the change in his attitude toward her except perhaps it is her becoming more of an adult when he previously would have been interacting with her as a dog and child.
The fastest way you can repair the relationship between the two would be to have your granddaughter start working with your dog on obedience training. You make it into a game for both of them. You should work with him when she is not around on the obedience even if you feel he is very obedient and obeys all the time. This will keep him listening and used to the training for when she trains with him.
The following site is helpful. Be sure and click on the link to the left on obedience. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
Most dogs will retreat when uneasy around a person. Having her work with him on obedience will teach him what to expect of her and what she expects of him and it will make him more confident around her again and repair their relationship.
I'd also get him a senior checkup to ensure he does not have any health issues that may be affecting the way he is acting. He is a senior and if he has a disc issue, her petting him in one place may be uncomfortable for him. A checkup is always a good idea.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need clarification or more information, be sure and reply.