Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My rescue bedlington I have had for 7 months is fairly

My rescue bedlington bitch I have had for 7 months is fairly well behaved but when walking of the lead she will vanish especially in woods. She has always made her way back towards the car but can be gone for an hour or more.Is there any way to get her back from a hunt.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
JaCustomer,
.
There are several ways of accomplishing this. One is strictly training and the other involves a training collar.
Many dogs don't come when called because they have learned that the only time they are called is when fun time is over. People call their dogs to them to make them come inside or to stop chasing prey (cats) or to be put on leash (end of free running time) or even crated. The only association they have with the come command is negative.
.
Additionally, dogs find chase to be a highly amusing game and have learned that if they get close to a human, the human might chase them. They love a good game. So what you need to do is make coming to you more pleasurable. Make the reward for coming to you much better than most other things.
.
The easiest way is to reward your dog with small tiny treats and praise whenever your dog comes to you when you give the command. Do this even when the dog wants to come to you. After a few treats, the dog will associate coming to you with getting treats and praise. Outside, you will want to use a long lead initially. Do not drag your dog to you, but say the command and if the dog doesn't come, give the leash a short tug. Start with short distances and gradually extend the distance as your dog becomes more familiar with the command. Over time, you will reduce the treats and increase the praise until praise is the only reward. Another thing to remember is to never call a dog to you to discipline it, go to the dog. During training I don't call a dog to me unless it is going to be pleasant for the dog. I usually don't have much of a problem since the dogs quickly learn that I have thinly sliced hot dog treats just waiting for them to obey me.
.
I alway recommend starting inside since most dogs are more than willing to come when inside. You can even have a helper and both call the dog to them in turn rewarding the dog for coming to you.
Now I know you said you used to treats and it didn't work. I'm not suggesting that you just use treats to tempt her back. You are using the treats as a reward for coming to you only. You are also teaching her that the come or recall command doesn't mean the end of free time. Do this consistently over and over again and use hot dogs (vienna sausages) or chic***** *****vers as treats. Most dogs will return eagerly for these HIGH value treats. Remember that even if you know she will possibly run off for an hour, at least during the initial training off lead when you think she will now come, you have to let her go back to doing what she was doing when you called her. She has to stop associating the command with the end of running, hunting, etc.
It often helps to chance the command you use to something like "HERE" instead of come or vice versa. It helps break that association in the dog's mind. Use a release command. It is just basically a command you use to tell the dog they can do what they want. You can teach it with the sit or come. I just use "GO" or "OK".
An alternative method is the remote training collar. They have remote training collars that use citronella spray or static shock collars. You control what the collar does. You initially train with a tone plus correction. You call the dog to you and when the dog ignores your command, you press the tone plus correction button. The dog receives a correction. Most dogs return home or to their owner. After just a couple of corrections the dog associates the tone with the correction and in most cases an owner can just hit the tone only button and have to dog return to them. These are very effective for the dog that can not hear the owner well or ignores commands when the owner is not close.
I don't usually use shock collars other than for dogs that bark when no one is around to correct them or for this long distance recall. They are quite effective and most dogs respond quickly and the actual spray or shock is no longer necessary. Remember though that you still want to call her to you with the command or tone and let her go back to what she was doing at least part of the time. With my own dogs I practice this several times a day even if I am not giving anything other than praise.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.