Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

We have rescued a 1 year old carpathian shepherd and have had

We have rescued a 1 year old carpathian shepherd and have had him for 10 days. He has a nice nature but seems to be protective of my wife but nervous of me, although he can be affectionate to me once settled. The big problem is that he barks excessively when I re-enter the room even if I have just nipped to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. I am struggling to make him realise I am not a threat and not sure how to overcome this problem.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
When the dogs starts misbehaving in the manner you indicated (barking at you) does your wife or someone reassure him, pet him or show him attention?
Have you started obedience training with him?
Is Ziggy neutered?
Who feeds him?
Who takes him for a walk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both my wife and I reassure him, which solves the problem til next time. We haven't yet started obedience training but intend to. He is neutered. We both feed and walk him but my wife does more of it because I am working and she is at home.

Chris,
thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. When a dog is displaying a behavior and a human tries to reassure them, the person is giving him attention often petting him and to the dog, this sends the message that the people like this behavior. The more reassurances you give the more he is likely to continue the behavior. Now if you are giving him treats right after he barks that is even worse.
Giving treats is an excellent way of rewarding desired behavior, but the time to give them is when he DOES NOT bark when you come into the room. Now if your wife is in the room, have the dog on a leash. When he barks she will give the leash a tug to get his attention off you and on her and say "NO" in a very low toned voice. You can even set the situation up by leaving and coming back over and over again until he succeeds in not barking, then give the treat. Also use high value treats like hot dog slivers or chic***** *****ver. Dogs are usually willing to work eagerly for these types of treats.
Dogs are pack animals and since you are male, he likely sees you as the resident male and thus the boss. If you do not start working with him on obedience, he may start seeing himself as the boss. His barking could be from nervousness or dominance but either way, obedience training will help since he will know what you expect of him when you give commands and gain self confidence with the training. It also helps the bond between dog and human.
The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
Between the training to not react to you entering a room and the obedience and NILF program, your boy should settle down pretty quickly.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.