Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Im looking after my Mum and Dads Yorkie for a few days while

Im looking after my Mum and Dad's Yorkie for a few days while Dad recovers from having a heart stent. The dog is totally dominant in their house and suffers from separation anxiety. After 2 days I can now leave the room for a few minutes without him making a fuss. He appears to be relaxing quite well. I've had dogs, horses and been a dog groomer. Although a devoted owner, I am the pack leader. Even hubby knows that! LOL
I need to go to the shops and return a wheelchair this morning. My Dad reckons he will settle if I leave him in the car in in his travel case.
I would rather give him another long walk, give him konk toy n treat and scoot of. Or will this be to traumatic?
Alli gets really hysterical. Sounds like he's being murdered. In a quandary.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
The behavior he exhibits around your parents may not be the same behavior he exhibits around you. He is used to specific responses to his behavior from your parents. He will try the same techniques with you. If he doesn't get the same response from you, he will eventually stop since it is not getting the desired response from you.
I would be more concerned about leaving a dog in a car and the dog possibly screaming or becoming overheated then I would with him displaying the behavior at home. It sounds like you are are doing well with him, but I wouldn't expect too much from him since he will likely revert back as soon as he is home with your parents. If you give him a kong, try filling the inside with peanut butter or yogurt and freezing it before you give it to him. That may keep him occupied the whole time you are gone. If he is busy with something in his mouth he won't be carrying on.
You might also pick up a DAP collar. They use a pheromone similar to the one a nursing mom produces to calm her pups. It is proven helpful for anxiety issues like separation anxiety. You are definitely on the right track to modifying his behavior by ignoring the attention getting behavior. However, remember to reward the desired behavior when it occurs with a nice tasty treat like a hot dog (vienna sausage sliver). This lets the dog know what behavior you DO want from him and he will gladly do so for the tasty treats. Don't use normal treats, use these high value treats.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years