Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a male pit who is normally well behavedBut the

Customer Question

I have a male pit bull who is normally well behaved
But the last 2 weeks he is pinning to get up to a dog in heat up the road he won't do what he told is ther anything I can do for this
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
This is actually something almost every owner of an intact male dog has an issue with. The preferred method is to have a caring relative take in your male for the duration of the heat cycle when the female lives with you or close by and the owner will not contain the female. Some owners also board their males if there is no one to help out. Others will pick a spare room as far away from where the female stays and crate their dog in that room. Sometimes spraying febreeze around that room and the edges of the door will keep the male's frustration levels from not being able to mate down.

If he is not an exceptional example of the breed or if you have no plans on breeding him, neutering him will usually eliminate the problem. He might still react to a female in heat once the hormones leave his body, but it won't be the same strong urge it is now. In most cases, it eliminates the urge all together. Instinct drives them to mate if intact, so neutering is your best solution.

I'm not saying that obedience training won't correct the situation as well, but it does take a lot of intensive training and even then instincts fight to override the training. If you would like information on obedience training, let me know as I have a great site for teaching you how to train your dog.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.