Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Hello my name is***** have a Cavalier King Charles and he

Hello my name is***** have a Cavalier King Charles and he is 2.1/2 years old. he is loving and a beautiful puppy, the two problems I am having with him are that whatever we do he wakes up every night crying and an awful howling sound until we let him out, he always has a wee and most times a poo. It is 1,2,3 o`clock every night and is wearing us out. I have never spoken to anyone who has had this behavior with a Cav. he also pulls constantly on his lead. I am on the verge of getting him re-homed but know it would break my heart. we have tried leaving him to howl bur he doesn`t stop so am worried about neighbours too. is there any help with this please?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. these questions help me determine how to correct the probblem. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
Is he neutered?
What obedience training has he had?
How many times is he fed each day?
What times is he fed?
How often do you take him for a walk and when is his last walk?
Does he have a kong?
So bringing him into your bedroom doesn't help the situation?
Have you tried anything else that you didn't mention?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no prof training as there were no classes in my area available at start he has meat and mixer once per day, then a few shapes and a chew later I feed him between 4/5 o`clock then treats about 7 once or twice a day at about 6 o`clock sometimes later not sure what a kong is not let him sleep in bedroom as my husband does not approve but have put his bed in our lounge and it hasn`t worked he will go to sleep after he has been out in the night but only for about 4hrs bought a high pitch sound thing which was supposed to stop dogs barking

May,
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. You do not need professional training classes, but you do need obedience training. Obedience training serves a lot of purposes including a well behaved dog, but also establishes you as the boss. All dogs should have obedience training. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
You can use obedience training to help with the situation. Once he is started with obedience training you can start with the quiet command. As crazy as it seems, you may want to teach the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after your dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.
http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html
Once he knows the command, you can use it to try and quiet him. I do have other suggestions that have been proven to help in situations like this. One thing is feed him his regular meals and then feed a smaller meal right before bedtime. Often dogs get excess bile like humans do and it will wake them up in the night time. Giving a small meal right before bedtime, puts a little food in the belly and helps them sleep through the night. Pepcid can also help with excess bile. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx
The other thing that will help is to take him for a long walk (at least 30 minutes) before bedtime. This helps tire him out and a tired dog sleeps longer. The other thing that helps is to get a kong toy with a treat compartment. I'll give you a site that shows what a kong is. What you do is fill the treat compartment with yogurt or peanut butter and freeze it. You then can give this to the dog at bedtime. It will either keep him awake a little longer, so when he does go to sleep he will sleep longer through the night, or if he goes to sleep at the normal time, he will have something to occupy himself with. If he is busy licking yogurt or peanut butter out of the kong chew toy, he won't be whining, barking or howling.
When he does howl though you do need to not jump up. It is best to not get up but if you have to, make him wait at least a little while. Some owners elect to take a small room and install sound proofing material on the walls and floor so it does not disturb the neighbors. Others have created an enclosure with sound proofing for their dogs.
However, the above suggestions I made frequently take care of the problem. Bark collars are very effective at stopping howling and barking but do not work for whining. They have static shock ones and citronella spray collars, so if you are against shock, the spray ones are pretty effective. The ultrasonic type of which it sounds like you have tried a version of this, tend not to be as effective as the dog learns to ignore the sound.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou Jane I will take your advice and see what happens, I thought that giving him something before bedtime would make things worse

May,
It doesn't hurt as long as he has had ample opportunity to eliminate on the bedtime walk. Feeding then should make it so he doesn't have to eliminate until morning.