Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I have a gold retriever who is 8 year male castrated that

Customer Question

I have a gold retriever who is 8 year male castrated that up to now has been reasonably behaved, but since the weekend we had a thunder storm, I was away for the weekend but by husband and son were at home with him, the dog dug the carpet up outside the bedroom door as he normally sleeps in the hall but pushed the gate open on the stairs, he doesn't seem to be relaxed at all, panting a lot and pacing!
Last night he was fine during the evening and then when we went to bed he ripped all the downstairs carpet off the bottom step, he ended up sleeping upstairs in our bedroom as I was concerned what else he would damage, he isn't on his own either as we have bulldog which sleeps with him, shall I take him to the vets could this be anxiety separation?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
Has he ever displayed this behavior before?
Has he been ok with storms before?
Is this the first time he had this reaction to the storm?
Has he had any problem with house training recently?