Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

how do I stop my puppy mouthing and biting

Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
How old is the puppy?
What breed is the pup?
Is it male or female?
Is the dog fixed?
Can you go into more detail on when the pup is biting and what is going on at the time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

puppy is 15 weeks old, she is a cross between a Pomeranian and a Westie. Obviously because of her age she hasn't yet been spayed. we do realise she is young, but the biting is more or less all the time. We have a beautiful, patient six and a half year old Shi tzhu who is having a tough time with the puppy biting, pulling her ears and tail and jumping at her face. The older dog has to keep chastising the puppy, sometimes this is effective

joan,
Thanks for the additional information. It sounds like she is being very much the puppy. They bite as part of play behavior but it is important that she learn bite inhibition. You seem to be doing most of what I normally suggest but I'll go through them just in case I can tweak it a little and then give you a method that has always worked for me even with the most stubborn biters.
When a dog is chewing and nipping on people the best method is to say “NO’ make a cry of pain and most puppies will respond and stop. For those that don’t respond, you will need to redirect his nipping or biting to an appropriate object. Now I know you are saying no but I'm not sure if you are making a cry. It does make a difference. Make the object you give something the pup will really like. Perhaps trying filling a kong toy with peanut butter and freeze it. Give that and it should keep her occupied with biting for hours, or get a good rubber tug of war toy so she can interact and play with you and have something to bite. . If you are playing and she nips, you want to do the same and then stop playing with him. She should learn soon that if she nips, playtime is over. Some puppies learn earlier than others and most do not totally learn not to nip and chew on you until they are 4-5 months old.
Here are some great sites on bite inhibition.
http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/articles/puppy-socialization-and-bite-inhibition/271
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-44.htm
Once your pup has completed her shots at around 16 weeks old, you will want to enroll her in Puppy obedience classes. Of course you can work on sit and come at home but class will be a chance for your puppy to interact with other puppies and learn bite inhibition from the experience. Your older dog will help the pup learn as well. Expect your older dog to growl and snap at the pup when she finally has enough of the pups bites. This is normal and as long as she is not drawing blook, I would let her reprimand the pup naturally. A well socialized dog is less likely to become a problem dog.
Now there are some dogs that just don't seem to get the message. Dogs that are taken away from their mothers too early are deprived of the time with their siblings and other dogs which helps them learn that biting can hurt so they need to be careful. Now there is a method for stubborn biters but it should be used as a last resort. You can stop mouthing and biting hard by going the opposite direction. Instead of taking your hand out of her mouth, put it further in the mouth. DO NOT do this meanly (not that you would). Do not do it quickly or shove it in too far, just move it further in enough that it makes her uncomfortable so that she pulls her mouth away from your hand. SHe will learn that putting her mouth on your hand results in the hand going further in and possibly triggering a gag reflex which she will not find pleasant. I'v found that this methods works on the most stubborn puppies.
For nipping at pant's legs, adopt an exxagerated walk where your heels come up higher in the back. Don't swing them up hard, just lift them higher than normal. As she tries to sneek up and bite your heels, she will likely get a heel in the chest which will discourage the behavior in the future.
Remember to combine techniques as it is usually a combination that end up solving the issue.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years