Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

HI MY FRENCH BULLDOG IS 1 YEAR OLD AND HAS NEVER SHOWED AGRESSION

HI MY FRENCH BULLDOG IS 1 YEAR OLD AND HAS NEVER SHOWED AGRESSION TO PEOPLE COMING IN TO THE HOUSE, BUT SHOWS AGGRESION TO MY DAUGHTERS DOG, LIKE HE REALLY MEANS IT, ITS HIS GARDEN, HIS PEOPLE ECT..HIS GREAT OFF THE LEAD AND GOES ON LONG WALKS EVERYDAY, IF MY PARTNER OR I STROKE ANOTHER DOG HE WILL LUNGE AT THE OTHER DOG, IF WE IGNORE THE OTHER DOG, MY DOG JUST IGNORES THEM..IM NOT SURE HOW I CAN OVER COME THIS, AND MAKE HIM FEEL MORE HAPPIER..THANKYOU
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
How old is your daughter's dog?
Is he neutered?
How about your dog, is he neutered?
What kind of a reprimand do you use when he lunges or show aggression toward another dog?
What obedience training has he had?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI JANE,

my daughters dog is the same age as louie which is a year old, they are both neutered, i tend to take him away from the situation, my daughter dont come over with her dog now because its not a relaxed atmosphere with, the times she came over i put louie in the hall, i ususally just walk away with louie if i see that his uncomfortable over the park, if his off his lead he will give most dogs wide berth..he never went to any training classes, but will always sit or wait ect..

hope this helps

Lynnie,
.
Thanks for the additional information. My questions should have been sent as an information request rather than an answer. I do apologize for that. It sounds like Louie has the potential to be a very dominant dog and feels that the house and you are HIS rather than him being YOURS. Thus he feels that it is his job to protect his people and territory from other dogs. That is one possibility. The other cause might be that he is dominant and doesn't want you to do certain things such as show another dog affection, but since he can not reprimand YOU, he takes his frustration out on the other dog and reprimands him instead.
In either case, training should help the situations. Even though he is pretty well behaved, he needs to see you as the boss. When he sees you as the boss, then the house is yours and you determine what you do. If you want to show attention to another dog, it is YOUR decision and the dog has not say so and should not go after another dog.
Socialization will help as well. But start with obedience training. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
.
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
It will be helpful if your daughters dog also is in training so he is also under someones control. What you will want to do with your dog once he is obeying commands the first time every time at home, enroll him in a training class where there are other dogs around. This helps finish his training around other dogs so he listens when other dogs are present as well.
Then you start with training at the house. You have him sit at least 5 feet from the door or more and stay there. One command many owners fail to teach or give is a release command. A dog should sit or lie down and stay until released. If they have never been given a release command, they learn to stop obeying at their own discretion so it is important for them to learn to stay until released.
Once he knows to stay until released, you will use that to teach him that you determine who comes in to your home and not him. Your daughter can bring her dog to the house and as long as he stays where you want him to, reward him with your affection and a nice tasty treat like a hot dog slice or liver sliver. Initially keep him leashed and slip the leash under your foot to hold him in the sit or down position. Of course, her dog also needs to be well behaved as well.
If he reacts, he should have a reprimand given which is a short tug to break his concentration and a firm low toned NO> Once he is not reacting when the dog comes to the door, then have the other dog come in with your daughter and go to a specific place and lay down. No allowing the other dog to roam yourhouse. He must stay with his owner for training purposes.
At this point, your give your dog a command to go to his spot (you will need to train for this before hand as well) then you will take him to that spot and have him sit or lie down and reward him for the desired behavior. Again reprimand him if he disobeys and reward him when he does what you ask.
It is not going to be an easy fix but training will help. You will want to do this with multiple dogs and people to help him learn acceptable behavior.
The training classes will help with socialization, but I also suggest that you take him to places where there are lots of dogs and reward him for the desired behavior and reprimand the undesired behavior. You can even set up situations where he is likely to react in order to reprimand or reward the behavior appropriately.
The BAT method may help as well. Read about it here:
http://functionalrewards.com/BAT-basics.pdf
http://www.petexpertise.com/behavior-adjustment-training-dog.html
.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.