Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

hi we recently got a collie cross ,he is 5 months old and his

hi we recently got a collie cross ,he is 5 months old and his previous owners (who are emigrating to america) brought him to see us and he behaved fine. 2 nights later they brought the dog for us to keep he was fine and my family made a fuss of him , my wife and i took him for a walk he behaved. His previous owners kept him in a kennel outside ,so at 10-30 i tried to put him in his kennel and he would not go i put on his lead and l took him to his kennel were he tried to bite me. i quickly put him into the kennel and shut the door, the next morning i let him out fed and watered him he was very wary of me. now when i go out the back he attacks me viciously he also growls and gets aggressive when my sons go near him. but with my wife and daughter he is fine his last owners wife was his main carer what can i do to win back this dogs trust.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had no answer as yet so please can u reply with answer.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
JaCustomer,
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Sorry for the delay, your question was in a different category and it was just switched to this one where I can answer you. In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
It sounds like the kennel is outside and a large one like the 6 ft high kind, is that true?
Is the yard fenced?
Does he have a dog house outside?
Is he inside during the day?
Has he bitten anyone when outside the kennel and outside?
I do understand that his is acting aggressive toward you when you go out into the back.
Did the previous owners keep him in the kennel ALL the time?
What commands does he know?
Is anyone working with him on commands?
How did you force him into the kennel the first day? I do need to know how you did that even if you needed to use force as it is important to determine why he is behaving like he is?
Is he neutered?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

his kennel is of standard height and yes he pulled away and I pushed him into kennel he has not been neutered.His last owner

gave him his commands in Irish and I have tryed to do this. He was kept in a kennel by hos last owners who also let him come onto the kitchen, they put him out at 8 at night toll the morning.

I'm sorry to have to ask similar questions but are you talking about a crate or the large outdoor kennels designed to allow them room to run around in?
I do understand that he is acting aggressive toward you when you go out into the back, but is he biting you or just lunging, growling and barking at you?
Is he neutered?
So he was training using irish commands, that is fine but are you or someone else working with him on training such as giving him command after command for a set period of time each day?
How is he during the day inside with you and the children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no he is in a kennel in a fenced of yard and garden. He is very anxious but only becomes really aggressive when my wife is with me, ihave been going into yard tofday and have tryed to ignore him he has not been aggressive today I have fed and watered him but he keeps his distance

JaCustomer,
OK. I'll just try to cover the things for the question which you haven't supplied an answer.
First off, if he isn't neutered, have that done as soon as possible. It will take hormones out of the equation. He is at the age where he is becoming sexually mature and at that age, they can be fearful but also want to express their dominance as part the maturing process. Neutering can help reduce that.
He sounds like he might be a little fearful of men in general but protective of women and thus is protective toward your wife. If the kennel you have him in is the same one his previous owner had him in, then he may also be possessive of what he feels is his "territory".
You also do not know if he really had any interaction with men before you and what that interaction was. So I do think that you are dong some things correction like you being the one to feed him and water him. Another thing that would be helpful is to have your wife leash him since he is ok with her and then secrue him to the garden fence or kennel fence (outside of the kennel) and then let you and your wife interact in the yard. Be sure all interactions between your wife and you are upbeat and happy. NO fighting in front of the dog. Lots of touching and pleasant activities. While doing this, toss the dog some tasty treats like hot dog(vienna sausages) slivers or liver slivers. This way he will start associating you and her together with the treats and be less protective especially since you are not aggressive toward your wife or him.
You also need to do obedience training with him. He knows the commands possibly but it also lets him know that when you say a specific command, you expect him to do a specific thing. This helps him gain confidence around you sine he knows what you want him to do. Even though he knows some commands, I'm going to give you a site that is helpful for teaching commands. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
http://www.cairnrescue.com/docs/NILIF.pdf
Not sure why you are kenneling him at night if your yard is fenced, but perhaps just leaving the kennel door open and allowing him to enter it if he wants to use his dog house. Of course if he is destructive on his own, then you would need to kennel him. You can also have your wife work with him on an "enter" or "IN" command. You could use the command of your choice when allowing him inside in the morning so he learns that command means to go in. Then you can use it to have him go into his kennel. Tossing a tasty treat in the kennel will also help him see it as a good place and convince him to go in . If he is out of the kennel at feeding time, put his feeding bowl in the kennel and just leave the door open. He may just associate the kennel with being contained or abused. Feeding him in the kennel with the door open may start him associating it with other things and not necessarily containment.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well and choose a 24 hour request time limit. I am usually online about 18 hours a day but may be working on another customers answer. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years