Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My dog has in the past few months starting whinning while

My dog has in the past few months starting whinning while travelling in the car, he has always enjoyed travelling with us and is always quite hypher on wanting to get back to the car after a walk, the whinning is sometimes getting quite hysterical. Have you any suggestions, he was a rescue, but, been with us 7years, we have also, always had German Shepherds. Jen Reynolds

Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
JaCustomer,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In most cases, whining like you describe from a dog who used to be fine with car rides is related to a change in health such as motion sickness. It sounds like he may be getting motion sickness and the motion sickness is causing the behavior issue. Several things could cause this to start up such as an inner ear infection or other condition affecting the vestibular system leading to motion sickness. Another cause would be antibiotics destroying the natural bacteria in the stomach. Without the normal bacteria in the stomach, nausea can result. Adding good bacteria back into the stomach via probitics can help with this.
It may not be causing him to vomit, but is making him uncomfortable. Motion sickness is worse if you can't see out a window, so having him in the front may help him some. Some people use Benadryl to calm their dog before car travel and Dramamine is also used for motion sickness, but your Vet should be consulted before using Dramamine.
Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours. The dosage for Dramamine (Dimenhydrinate) for motion sickness is 2-4 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours.
Any medication should be given an hour in advance to car trip. I have a dog that used to constantly pace and jump around the car as well and no training would help, but Dramamine helped even though he wasn't actually vomiting.
For anxiety related discomfort, herbal rescue remedy is often used, but another option is a DAP collar that uses pheromones to calm a dog. It emits pheromones similar to those produced by a mother when nursing pups. You might try giving the medication, waiting an hour and then put him in the car and just move up the driveway slowly so he sees that it isn't the same as it is normally. He may still be anxious since he is used to it making him uncomfortable, so I would still use a DAP collar so he is calmer as well.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Janet Lefler

Thank you for your answer. I shall be travelling with him in 2 days and will give him Benadryl. I will inform you of the outcome, you do mention probitics, is this the same as probiotics. Jen Reynolds

JaCustomer,
I'm sorry that was a typo and I did mean probiotics. Probiotics should be started now and restarted any time a dog is given antibiotics. I started giving mine daily for a couple of weeks then tapered off to giving once a week and giving regular yogurt in their food occasionally. My males sensitive stomach doesn't act up at all anymore.
Benadryl isn't my first choice but since it often works it is worth trying before going to a motion sickness drug like dramamine.
HI,
Just a quick note to see if you have had a chance to try any of my suggestions yet. i hope you found my suggestions helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jane,

I had sent you the outcome of the first journey we took our dog on and it was 100% successful, I am having great difficulty to find how to connect my e-mails to you, which is very frustrating. I will be getting some probiotics to replace the bacteria, by the way his last time he had antibiotics was 4 years ago. for an ear infection, there is no shaking of his head at this time.also, I have started giving him Yoghurt. Thank you again for your help. Jen

Jen,
Glad you are going to start the probiotics. Keep an eye on him as he ages since many dogs develop vestibular disease which can cause nausea as well. It causes nausea, dizziness and even an inablilty to walk properly. Thanks fr the new update.