Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My dog has suddenly become very uneasy, frantically trying

my dog has suddenly become very uneasy, frantically trying to open the front and rear garden gates and the doors out of the house, he is panting heavily and does not want anything to eat (very unusual) . he is scratching up the carpet and tries to get into the bed and is dribbling constantly, yetwhen I take him out he acts perfectly normally but is reluctant to come back into the house .
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantal,

Fella was very restless until 3AM this morning, constantly panting,tossing and turning, but didn,t seem to be in any pain, He settled down about 3 30 and just laid on his duvet .. this morning he ate a very small amount of yesterdays food, and I took him walking about 9 00, he seemed OK if a little slow, on return he was not interested in his fresh food and has sat on the bluebells in the garden ever since, he came in a while ago had a drink and went back out, tail between his legs, no life in him at all .

.kind regards

huw.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
JaCustomer,
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
How much does your dog weight?
do you have any ideas on what breeds he is a mix of?
Have you noticed other behavior changes such as finding him behind doors?
Has he asked to go out and then wanted back in or come in from outside and immediately wanted back in?
Does he seem to recognize everyone he should know such as regular visitors, people he has come into contact with for months or years?
Any house training issues?
Are his days and nights mixed up at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your message ,fella is about 34Kg and is a smooth haired English fox hound with a bit of Beagle thrown in.. he is nearly always a happy chappy and apart from this problem which occurred and cleared up last Thursday, only to resurface yesterday

,he has not had any significant health worries.He has occasionally wanted out yhen comes back in but not on a regular basis, he also recognises his usual friends and visitors, barks furiously until the door is opened then tends to lick the visitor to death, (except the Postman) and mail thru the door usually bears tooth prints

He has no training issues in doors I walk him 4 times a day and he readily goes all night without needing to go out, Last walk is usually about 10 PM then first walk next day about 9AM.

.Regarding mixed nights etc ,I am usually set in my ways so he is also, we,ve been pals together since my wife died ( years ago, so as you can imagine I,m finding this problem worrying..

Kind Regards.

Huw.

Hi Huw,
Thanks for the additional information. I had typed a large part of my answer when it just disappeared, so let me retype it again.
I suspect your dog may be experiencing Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS). This is something we see in dogs a lot younger than your dog. There is a wonderful site that explains it well and also explains how to document your dog's behavior and discuss it with your vet. The good news is that if this is partly to blame there is a drug called L-Selegeline (Anipryl (R)) which has been recently approved for use in the clinical indication of cognitive dysfunction (CDS) in dogs. Read this site for other drug choices.
http://www.2ndchance.info/CDS.htm
Please see this site for more information and other causes that may exhibit the same symptoms.
http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p22CanineCognitiveDysfunction.htm
http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/column/applied-behavior/house-soiling-cognitive-dysfunction-syndrome?96m5sri9MY
What concerns me, though, is that the breed typically only has a life span of 10-13 years old. While that can be extended a little with great care, your dog is likely to be suffering from some health issues. Since he is dribbling, an undiagnosed kidney issue might be present. Kidney problems can lead to toxin buildup and various other symptoms such as increased thirst, vomiting and even seizures. Since fella is also part beagle, a disc issue might also be a possibility as well. That can cause loss of control over the bowels and/or bladder.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx
I'd have to recommend a senior checkup for him with bloodwork and imaging. You can discuss CDS with your vet as well. I wished I could give you a definite answer but a physical exam is necessary in this case.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years