Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I've heard that using a gentle leader on a dog suffering from

Customer Question

I've heard that using a gentle leader on a dog suffering from a left cleft palate is the best tool to use. Why is this as opposed to using a slip lead (normal leash around the dogs neck). I understand a gentle leader would be suitable for most dogs suffering from this condition but why? Does it reduce the pressure around the neck area?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I've been working professionally with dogs in both health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
I haven't heard that it is better to use a head halter than a slip collar for this particular type of problem though many people recommend a head halter type of collar for dogs in general.
I do NOT recommend this type of device. Many dogs have issues with any type of restraint and often pull tug and fight a leash. When they do, or run and hit the end of the leash, the discs in the neck can be injured as a result. This can lead to a lot of different issues and end up being a life long problem.
A slip collar when used improperly can also cause neck injuries and really are not appropriate for dogs who have any type of breathing difficulties.
The type of restraint that i would recommend is a front clip chest harness. The harness doesn't put pressure on the neck in any way and allow them to breath relatively normal. With a front closure you achieve the same purpose as a halti in that the dog pulling will turn them around to face you rather than dragging you down the road. See a front clip harness here.
http://www.doggygifts.com/walk-right-padded-front-adjustable-harness-by-coastal-pet-size-medium-black/?gclid=CI-n9Ze8r8UCFegF7Aodh1cAkQ
I hope this information is helpful to you. If it is, please rate adccordingly. If it isn't, or you need more information or clarification, please respond so I can address the concerns you still have.