Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Lab 20 months. new to me in Dec from broken home.great

lab bitch 20 months. new to me in Dec from broken home.great in house, obedient, loving controllable. outdoors is holding onto lead and playing tuggy. this cannot be stopped and she getas hyper in mood and uncontrollable. just seems unable to control herself and loses all training she has. will pull at sleeves or scarves or other persons carrying leads when she gets into this mood. Help! feeling very trapped with a beautiful dog i cannot trust to go out with. IC
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
What obedience training has she had?
Is she fixed?
So you let go of the lead when she pulls?
What kind of collar and lead are you using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

wondering if you got you my further info. have been watching for the reply and suggestions and when not there first port of call is to check my computer skills. irene

Unfortunately, your additional information did not come through for some reason. I'm sorry about that. Sometimes customers do have an issue responding. Take your time and answer when you can. It is late here and I have to be up in 5 hours, so I'll likely answer tomorrow morning if that is ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry re incompetance on PC. Shehas had basic training.m will sit stay wait for her food and come to a whistle... sometimes. i am sure she has some level of hearing loss ie low sounds she hasnever heard me arrive home a normal voice no response unless she sees you. Is fixed meaning neutered ? she is. she uses a normal leather collar and lead but I have a half choke.when she decides to play tuggy with the lead i can only let go as she is a strong girl and will grab my sleeve for tugging should she be in the mood and loses the lead.I also turn away and ignore if this is safe. she does this but as soon as released the hyper state returns. I think the tugging is both a game, she is very playful and a control because it does not happen when we are walking up to the shore but when it is time during the walk for control or time to return home. teachi9ng her at home to tug to leave and be rwarded in thye hope this will cross over to outdoors. a little success.She has one day at day care where she runs with a pack. hugely enjoyed bu8t can it be teaching her wrong ways? hope not.O)n the play theme she sometimes approach. es small dogs vigourisly and I think she sees a soft toy i hold her by the collar as small dog approaches and she is doing well with this restraint. but sometimes I feel very trapped and friends whowere walking her have now gone. Hope tthey can return! Hope tis helps. She is also a very social dog loving bigger dogs and people. OK? thanks

Irene,
It sounds like she has a lot of energy that she needs to get out. In addition, she needs more structured obedience training and even training to teach her how to work on a lead.
For the energy portion, perhaps you can find another suitable dog preferably male for her to play with on a regular basis. Introduce them away from each one's home so they are not dealing with any territorial aggression. If there is an enclosed area she can be in , you can even get a tennis ball throwing machine that a dog can reload and teach her to load it and thus she'll have a lot of time to run and chase and play all by herself.
If you do have the yard, you can put a pole in the yard and use it like a teather ball poll with a low ball for the dog to push around the pole. After a few turns the ball will come back around on its own. If the ball is smaller, your dog will even play tug of war.
For the obedience training, classes are great but you can also do it at home as well. The following site is helpful for teaching you how to train your dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
http://www.cairnrescue.com/docs/NILIF.pdf
This keeps her listening to you and seeing you as the boss and leader. Finally lets go over leash walking. This is similar to pulling though it is also related to play. If she pulls also, I'd get a prong collar for training purposes. The ends are not sharp and don't puncture the skin. They are effective for powerful breeds.
Number one, put your dog on a leash before leaving the house. Make your dog sit or lie down before leaving. You walk out first and the dog should follow you out. With a proper walk, the dog should be right at your side or slightly behind. You dog should be paying attention to you, frequently glancing at you to be sure you haven't changed your mind about where you are going. I will be using the word correction. A correction will indicate a short quick tug and release of the leash. It is meant to remind the dog that she is supposed to be paying attention to you. Initially, keep training sessions short and where there will be minimal distractions even if it is just in your yard. A walk should be fast paced and not a stop and start exercise. The dog should not be investigating, sniffing or socializing on the walk. Walk to a destination and allow the dog some time at the destination to do those things.
I use a food and praise reward system. I use almost paper thin pieces of hot dog as the oil from them coats your hand and keeps the smell on your hand. Let the dog smell the treat in your closed hand. This gives your dog motivation to be by your side. She should be happy to follow your hand around the yard. Keep your leash short, but without pressure on it. If the dog starts moving away, a correction toward you should be made. Give her a treat every once in a while initially so she understands walking by your side get her treats. Also her mouth will be busy with treats so she shouldn't be trying to grab the leash. Try to time it so it is before she gets distracted. If she starts to glance elsewhere, give a correction and tempt her with sight of the treat. When she is back to paying attention, reward her with the treat in a low calm "good girl". No excitement to your voice as you want her calm. Repeat when you think her attention is shifting. As she gets better at paying attention to you and your "smelly hand", make corrections giving more praise and less treats. Before you know it, your dog will be walking right next to you all the time, with or without treats. When you stop, praise your dog with your voice or a few pats to let your dog know how good she has done. You can train her to sit or lay down when you stop if you want as well. This helps prevent her trying to run off if you stop to talk to someone.
Once your dog is pretty much always walking at your side, you will want to make a correction any time he stops paying attention to you. For instance, they are looking at a cat in a yard, give a correction so they look at you. if he is busy looking ahead and hasn't glanced at you for awhile, give a correction and reverse your direction. Do not stop and wait for the dog, just a quick correction and reverse and walk. They learn to keep an eye on you as well as on what else is going on. Try an be confident during these training sessions. Try not to look down at your dog but more out of the corner of your eye. Act like you are paying attention to the scenery. It sounds strange, but it does work.
Once your dog is doing well in the yard, try adding a few distractions such as family in the yard, then progress to another dog around continuing to correct if he even looks like he is going to glance at the other dog. If you wait till he is already distracted, it is too late. You have to catch him before he focuses on the other animal or person. It is a lot of work and takes lots of practice but it does work.
These things should help take care of the problem. I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have. If you are satisfied, I hope you will take this opportunity to rate my reply .
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years