Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

We have a Rottweiler who is now four years old my husband got

We have a Rottweiler who is now four years old my husband got him from Ireland as a puppy he was nervous and very protective over he's food so I fed him from my hand for a while and managed to cure him of that but he growls at us and sometimes goes for us but has not drawn blood .sometimes he can be loving .when any one comes in I tell them to ignore him sometimes it works but not a lot of people come round any more.the vets have difficulty with him and he frightens the staff at the boarding kennels and wouldn't let them put he's lead he only lasted there for two days so no holidays for us.sometimes he can be a loving boy but he doesn't trust anyone he is very big big I can't hold him on he's lead anymore but my husband takes him on regular walks we are both in our sixties can you help.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. How much obedience training does he have?Does he growl when you ask him to move and he doesn't want to?Is he possessive of his toys or people?Has he bitten anyone besides you?What have you tried so far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He does the basic sit lie down and obeys when I tell him no he does growls when he is asked to move my husband will leave him where he is but I won't and wave a rolled up newspaper and make him do as his told.he growl when we play with him and his toys but in a play way we can pick up his toys and take them from him and he doesn't mind.he hasn't bitten anyone else but he has growled and barked at others.I watch him all the time and never put him in a situation where he could hurt someone.Yes my husband lets him up on the sofa he sometimes makes my husband move so he can get up.Yes he is neutered.thank you for replacing.

Susan,
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.
Rottweilers are a strong willed breed and they need strong willed owners. I breed rottweilers so I'm very familiar with the breed.
They need to have ongoing structured obedience training meaning it is best to put aside a certain amount of time each day devoted to obedience training and not just random commands durin the normal course of the day.
The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
http://www.cairnrescue.com/docs/NILIF.pdf
Don't let him on the furniture. They tend to feel that since he is elevated physical to a place as high as humans that mentally he is on the same level as the humans and thus could be the boss since he can intimidate people with his growls and bites. So don't allow him on the furniture. Keep a leash attached to easily move him off. When he goes to get up, give a short tug and firm NO until he stops trying. Once that happens, reward him with hot dog slivers for not trying to get up. This reinforces the behavior you wish to see.
Use the same sort of correction when he growls at others. The training will help because you will know he is under your control. You won't be as worried. He can pick up on your worry and that makes him feel he needs to be worried about the people too, so stay calm and let him take his cue from you. If he does not growl and bark at people, let them toss him a treat so he starts associating others with tasty treats as well. I usually keep a bag of hot dog slivers around just for he purpose or reinforcing the behavior I want to see.
These techniques work quite well, so be sure both you and your husband participate in the training and NILF program. Once he sees that both of you are stepping up and taking back the leader position, he should stop the growling etc. Just remember that even as adults, they need that training on a regular basis.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.