Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My 11 month old collie cross grabs and lunges at your trousers

my 11 month old collie cross grabs and lunges at your trousers sometimes really hurting. it started in the garden but now she has started doing it when let off the lead if you sit down she stops. please help.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I've been working in a professional capacity with dogs in both the dog health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
I do need to ask for some additional information before I can proceed. It can take 30-45 minutes to type up my response once I receive your reply. Please keep in mind that I am not always online so depending on when the answer is received, it may take longer to get my response.
Is she spayed?
What obedience training has she had?
Is she doing this when you stop moving or only when you are moving?
What else have you tried besides sitting down?
Does she ever do it when on the leash?
Does she have any dog playmates?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes she is spayed

she has been to puppy foundation class. we do training with her at home.

starts when moving. she has just started agility classes.

when i thought she was going to do it i used to say no and get her to sit and watch my face for a while this used to work. i tried taking a toy but did not work. she rarely does it on the lead. she is very friendly with people and has many dog friends they all seem to like her. she also gets on well with our cat who adores her. she is scared of noises etc. hope this helps.

JaCustomer,
Thanks for the additional information. She is a herding breed and it is instinctive for them to "herd" things and even people. It sounds like she is doing this or attempting to do it.
Now there are a few things you can do. One would be to check around in the area and see if there are any herding dogs in the area. You can contact the owners and see about training your girl for herding. In many cases, the trainer will allow her to run with an experienced dog and learn. It will also take care of any excess energy she has. A lot of herding breed owners do elect to have their dogs trained.
Now agility classes and trials are an excellent activity for high energy herding breeds. They do help lessen the incidents like you are experiencing. It may take several months of agility classes to keep her stimulated and help stop the nipping.
In the meantime, one way to stop this nipping is to adopt an exaggerated walk bringing your heels up high on the back swing. When you walk in this manner, if the dog tries to come up and nip at your heels they can't get close or will get a heel on the chest or chin. It usually only takes once or twice for them to decide it isn't a good idea to try and nip or grab pants legs on humans. Now I do want to stress that you are not kicking the dog, just swinging your feet higher up in the back while walking.
Be sure she has lots of time to play with her playmates. She may have lots of friends but if she doesn't have the opportunity to run around and play with them a couple of times a week, she will be trying to get that stimulation from the humans that she is around.
Go ahead and pick up some tunnels and jumps and seesaw materials to keep at your home. Often you can pick up cloth collapsible tunnels at thrift stores. Jumps and seesaws are also built and this will allow you to work with her around the house more often.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.