Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My dog has all of a sudden started barking reason over

My dog has all of a sudden started barking for no reason over the past couple of months. It's usually 4 short barks, stops & 10-15mins later she does it again. She only does it in the afternoon/evening. My dad has dementia & is at day care 3 days a week, she's good as gold during the day. But when he returns is when the barking starts, is there any cure to stop the barking? Or what has suddenly caused her to start?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Unfortunately, your dog may be experiencing cognitive dysfunction (CDS) as well as your father. He may not have all the signs of CDS but often a dog like a human will have their symptoms start as the day progresses and in early stages it may only show in the evening. You can read more on CDS below but keep in mind that if she is just starting, she may not have many symptoms.
http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p22CanineCognitiveDysfunction.htm
http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/column/applied-behavior/house-soiling-cognitive-dysfunction-syndrome?96m5sri9MY
Another possible cause is that she is becoming deaf. Often a dog that is slowly going deaf will start barking in the manner you describe. It is believed that they are trying to hear themselves.
There are a couple of things that you can do. One requires you teach your dog the quiet command but if you can stop the barking now with a command, this might not be the way to proceed. However, let me give you a site that discusses how to train for both the speak and quiet command.
http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html
If this doesn't work, you may have to try a citronella bark collar or a shock collar. These are effective ways to stop excessive barking and dogs usually learn very quickly as there is an immediate reprimand (spray or shock ) for barking and it is consistent.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years