Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My dog makes a loud breathing noise when I take him out side

Customer Question

my dog makes a loud breathing noise when I take him out side but he is fine when he is in the house and when he is sleeping at night and he still has a loud bark he is a 11 year old Labrador some one told me it could be laryngeal paralysis .
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
Is he panting?
Or is it a gasping or gagging?
Does it happen when he is walking around etc or when he is just sitting?
How long has it been going on?
Does he have any allergies?
JaCustomer,
I was hoping to get some responses back from you before answering.
Heavy panting can be a sign of the condition you mention, but in hot weather dogs tend to pant more anyway. In addition as dogs age, they can develop heart and lung issues that might also affect their breathing especially when walked or exercised. Read about chest and lung conditions here:
http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/chest-lung-conditions.aspx
Allergies might also cause him some problems outside if they were related inhaled substances like pollens. I do feel it is more likely to be age related, but your vet can give him a senior checkup and determine if laryngeal paralysis is a factor.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.