Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

We have given a home to a sweet 2yr old female ***** *****

Customer Question

We have given a home to a sweet 2yr old female ***** ***** who has never been socialised, lived in a flat with no access to a garden and not taken on regular walks. She gets on well with children (4 in the family she came from) and is very biddable and seems happy with us. We have had her 5 days and she has settled down very well, she readily goes in her cage at night (just until I am sure she will not damage anything). The problem is that she is getting too attached to my husband, she spends all morning with him in the garden and wants to be on his lap in the evening. We are worried that this might grow to be a problem in the future. I feed her and we both walk her but she doesn't seem to be bonding very well with me. What do you think we should do?
Category: Dog Training
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this look like becoming a problem in the future?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Unfortunately, many female dogs gravitate to the males in the family. Many male dogs will tend to bond with the females. The fastest way you can bond with her is to start her on obedience training now. If she is trained in obedience she should see you as the boss and if your husband participates, his letting her on his lap all the time won't turn into a problem. Dogs that are allowed on furniture (even if put on the furniture) tend to feel that since they are elevated to your level or higher if on your lap, they mentally feel elevated as well in the pack order and thus are the boss. Keeping them on the floor can help lower them mentally back to a submissive position in the pack. So if he continues letting her into his lap without her earning the privilege, it might turn into a problem later. So he should always make her sit or perform a trick to be allowed on his lap. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htmhttp://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html These techniques teach a dog what you expect of them and as a result, they become more comfortable around you and bond quicker since they know what to expect when you say certain words. If you do these things, I doubt you will have much problems with Poppy in the future. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if you recieved my reply,but thankyou. I think my husband will have to stop having Poppy on his lap so readily, I did say that to him a couple of nights ago but we wanted to make the little dog feel as safe and secure as we could as it must have been traumatic for her leaving her family. Rosemarie

You are welcome and if you have other issues going forward, I'll be happy to help with those as well.