Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

How can I get my dog to stop chewing our wooden fence? This

Customer Question

How can I get my dog to stop chewing our wooden fence? This is a fairly new habit for her, however she has always been a chewer. Recently she is focusing her chewing on wood...the wood fence, fence posts, and the wooden couch legs! She has chew toys that
she enjoys inside the house, and a tire dog toy to chew outside. She cannot seem to get enough of the chewing though...it seems to be a constant need for her. She will be a year old on the 4th. We thought we would be able to stop crating her at night soon,
but not unless we get this habit under control. She also has epi, so I worry about anything and everything she ingests.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

I take it she is on medication, correct?

What types of chew toys do you provide her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she is on pancreatine enzymes for her epi.

due to the epi, we have not found any type of dog chews or bones that she can use without getting diarrhea.

In place of that, we give her kong bones made of rubber for "extreme chewers", she has a jolly ball that she likes to kick around the yard and chew, and we give her kong tires for extreme chewers. She also has these rubber balls that are called Hol-ee Roller balls that she likes to chew and play tug of war with.

JaCustomer,

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. Like any food item, she would need to be introduced to any new dietary item slowly. What I would suggest is filling one of the kong toys that has an opening with yogurt. It has a lot of good bacteria that can help her digestive system. Freeze the kong until the yogurt is frozen and then give to her. It can help keep her focused on the chew toy rather than your wood furniture, doorways, etc.

The large thick stiff rope toys might be appropriate as well. She may still have some teething discomfort associated with the rear molars coming in. The rope toys may allow her to chomp down on that relieving the discomfort. You shouldn't have too much longer before her teeth won't be an issue and the chewing will stop as long as she isn't bored. Filling with yogurt or a meat based baby food WITHOUT onion or garlic. Remember she may need a few days before her bowels adjust unless you start with just a small amount.

You can also use bitter apple on the doorways and chewed items to help prevent her chewing. Hot sauce also tend to work but check to be sure there is no discoloration from its use on your wood. Another possible solution is putting up an underground wire fence around the fence line. This will keep her off the fence line and from chewing the fence. It can also help prevent her from developing boundary aggression since no one can get too close to the area she will then consider hers (inner area of the yard). Petsafe underground fence system are pretty cheap purchased second hand. You can also mount them to the fence itself instead of burying it making installation quick. That would save the "fence" and then you could use the kong and bitter apple spray for the inside items.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

It isn't showing that you are able to rate. Let me fix that.