Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My dog won't stop barking

My dog won't stop barking
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. Can you tell me what she is barking at? Unfortunately, I do need to know what you have actually tried? You may think you have tried everything but as a behaviorist, we have techniquest that you may never have even considered.What breed is your girl?What obedience training has she had?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hettie is a sheltie, she barks at any noise whether it's the wind or a car door being shut if anyone comes to the door she goes absolutely mental, she is good when we go out doesn't bark at things unusual around her.
I have had a local lady who does dog training and she responded very well but the barking doesn't get any better.
I have bought sprays,a collar that gives off a spray, sat and spoke softly to calm her down, shouted,calming coat.
When she wants to go out to do her toilet she doesn't bark she will come and stare at me or take my hand or just go to the door. I hope you can help thank you.
Thanks for the additional information. I have a dog currently that I got from the pound that did this when we first got him, so I understand you are being driven crazy. He is an eskimo dog mix. There are several techniques that you can use. Usually it will take a combination of techniques to reduce teh barking. Here is the method that I used on our rescue which stopped the majority of the barking. We left his leash on in the house attached to a chain collar. Each time our dog barked inappropriately we gave a quick tug correction to distract him, said "no bark" and had him sit. After a few corrections right in a row, he would finally stop barking for a second. When he didn't bark I'd give him a treat. By the end of a couple of weeks, he had reduced his barking significantly. We did go through a lot of treats. We used high value treats like hot dog slivers. Normal treats really don't work well. We did this over the course of a month all together, giving treats for non barking and eventually phasing out the treats and using praise instead with a treat only once in a while. Now he rarely ever barks. This helps for barking when you are present. Another technique that sounds crazy but works as well is teaching the dog the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html You also have the option of getting a bark collar such as citronella spray collar or, shock bark collars. I know you stated you have tried the spray one. I personally feel the shock collars are more effective than the spray collars. The other thing about these collars is that they contacts must be close against the skin which with a thick coated breed can be difficult. Many owners have to cut the hair in the throat area back or even shave an area so the sensor and contacts can touch the skin. The collar also needs to be snug enough for the contacts to touch the skin. Now it also helps when you are trying to train her if you can have someone help you by knocking on the door over and over so you can do the corrections and reward her when she decides to stop barking. Don't be discouraged if it takes 4-5 times of the helper knocking on the door and you giving a reprimand before she hesitated. You just have to be ready to reward her with both the treat and calm praise. You should also work on obedience training as well. If she is obedience trained you can have her sit and stay which may help her stay calmer when an unusual noise occurs. You can use the training techiques for any noise if it can be reproduced. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.