Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My dofg a 7 yr old fox terrier has been badly bitten by a 7

Customer Question

My dofg a 7 yr old fox terrier has been badly bitten by a 7 yr old yorkie. They have lived together - with a 3 yr old yorki too- since last march when I moved in with my partner. There have been many skirmishes but this is the first bite. My dog is neurteered the other s not all are male, The yorkies taunt mine and he ha s chnaged from a happy dog to one who is growly and much more aggressive than I have evrs een him before. We have come to the co0nclusion that one of them must be rehomed. I hav eoffered sinc emine entered the domain of the yories but my partner says he will rehome one of his. Its causing us great dstress
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Given the circumstances, I would agree with you if you are fine with rehoming your boy. The reasons would include the fact that the intact males were getting along before your dog was added to the mix. In addition, since the other males are intact, even if one was rehomed, the other would still be the dominant dog and fights might continue to occur. If the older Yorkie was rehomed, the 3 year old Yorki being younger and a resident first might still feel that they are the best choice to take over the dominant dog position especially since he is still intact and the fox terrier is not. The fox terrier might feel that even though he is meutered, his age might make him a good choice for "top" dog and the fights would continue. If the younger dog was rehomed, you would still have the current "top dog" in the household who might still feel that the fox terrier might be a threat to his position. Rehoming your dog would give him a safer environment and reestablish the previous "pack" thus hopefully restoring peace.. I'd try and find a household without other dogs to rehome him to and you might consider a refresher obedience class before rehoming as well. It is likely all the dogs would benefit from obedience training if there are still attacks going on after 6 months. I know it is not easy to rehome your dog, but considering the circumstances, I agree it would be the best choice as well. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.