Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a king Charles spaniel that barks all the time I am

I have a king Charles spaniel that barks all the time I am getting ready to go out ,also when we have visitors going home.he is nearly two years old he as always done this but it seemsto be getting worse.please can you help.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Excessive barking is a common problem. I'll be sending my answer in several post so I wanted to let you know that I'm working on your response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have you got an answer yet
It will help if you have another person to help you with training, but there are other things you can do without the sue of another person. I have a dog currently that I got from the pound that barked at literally everything when we first got him, so I understand you are being driven crazy. Here is what worked for us. We left his leash on in the house attached to a chain collar. Each time our dog barked inappropriately we gave a quick tug correction to distract him, said "no bark" and had him sit. After a few corrections right in a row, he would finally stop barking for a second. When he didn't bark I'd give him a treat. By the end of a couple of weeks, he had reduced his barking significantly. We did go through a lot of treats. We did this over the course of a month all together, giving treats for non barking and eventually phasing out the treats and using praise instead with a treat only once in a while. Now he rarely ever barks. As crazy as this sounds you may wish to teach your the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands. http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html You can also combine methods to achieve desired results so definitely try multiple methods at the same time. You also have the option of getting a bark collar such as citronella spray collar or shock bark collars. I would not purchase an ultrasonic device as in most cases, dogs learn to ignore the sound after a very short time. Now with bark collars you do have to ensure the contacts are in contact with the skin. In some thick coated breeds this requires trimming the hair in the throat area back. The collar also needs to be tight enough that the contacts touch the neck. Often an owner will not have it on correctly causing it to not function properly. Bark collars should also not be worn full time either. You could use it when you are going out and when you have visitors. This might also be a form of separation anxiety. In that case, a DAP collar might be helpful. They emit a pheromone that calms a dog and helps relieve anxiety. I'm sending this now but I have more. It takes longer than 10 minutes to type up longer answers.
Of course, separation anxiety would only apply to you leaving and not to visitors leaving. Another thing that helps is to do things that might make the dog feel you are leaving and then don't such as putting on your coat or picking up your keys. Or leave without doing those things. This helps remove things that might trigger the dog to become anxious and bark. You can also act like you are getting ready to leave but don't. You should not show the dog any attention when he is barking. If you reassure him or show him attention, he is getting what he wants which is attention. So ignore him as much as possible. You might also get a kong toy with treat compartment. Fill it with yogurt or peanut butter that does not contain xylitol. Freeze it and give it to him at times when he is liable to start barking. This will help keep his mouth busy and stop the barking. I mentioned a helper earlier and you can have someone come over and leave numerous times in order for you to give corrections to him and then be able to reward him when he doesn't bark. In addition, the helper could perform the same corrections and rewads while you go through the motions of getting ready to leave. This is where having a helper for training comes in handy. Here is a site on separation anxiety as well that might help. http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/overcoming-separation-anxiety.aspx I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you I will try this .