Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

Is there anything to use to stop a dog urinating in the house?

Is there anything to use to stop a dog urinating in the house? He's 12 now and always done it and in the same places, some I couldn't always see till I can smell it. I've got new carpet and really need to prevent this somehow. He even does it when the back door is wide open and can freely go out. Hope you can help.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. Where exactly is he urinating? Kitchen, living room, etc?What type of cleaner did you use?What methods of house training have you tried?Is it urine or feces?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in responding, my phone is playing up. I typed loads to give you as much info as possibble then lost it all. What would the call charges be if I chose the option to ring?
Let me give you a bunch of information on the subject and then you can decide if you need more information or not. Typically there are a few different methods of house training. The most important thing is removing the old smell. If they didn't use a good enzymatic pet odor remover on the floor under the new carpet before they put it down, there still might be some lingering odor. I hope not but it could still be there. However, if he hasn't urinated there again then maybe they did neutralize it first. If he has, get a good enzymatic cleaner to use on the area. It has to soak down to the underflooring since I am assuming they replaced the padding when they changed the carpet out. The best way of cleaning is to remove solids, soak up any liquids with a cloth or other absorbant material and then apply the cleaner liberally wait for it to soak in thoroughly and then soak up excess fluids again. You can rinse that away as well. The cleaner breaks down the protein that causes the odor. The second step is to prevent him from eliminating inside and train him that outside is where he needs to go. In addition, many dogs do not want to go outside by themselve and many owners don't want to go out in the rain, cold, etc to be with their dogs. I have to recommend going out with them at least when initially house training. Once he has the idea, you may be able to not go out or just step outside the door where he can see you. One method of house training is crate training. There is an excellent site on crate training. This method has worked consistently for 15 years for me regardless of whether the dog was an older dog or a younger dog. If you have other dogs you will need to separate them when taking them out to go to the bathroom, as they will want to play rather than potty. I would also always take your dog outside on a leash. Do this even if you have a fenced yard. No playing with your dog during potty time either. There is a reason for this initially as you will want to praise him and give him treats immediately when he eliminates. During crate training, you will be having your dog confined either in a crate or confined to a very small area which optimally will only allow the dog room to lay down in. Dogs will generally not soil an area where they sleep. IT helps to feed them in there as well or in the area where they are eliminating. Most dogs won't eliminate where they eat either. when you take him out, take your dog to an area where you want your dog to go and preferably one that has been used previously. Allow your dog approximately 10-15 minutes to go to the bathroom. If your dog doesn't produce, take your dog inside and cage them again. If your dog does produce results allow him some uncrated time as a reward before crating or containing the dog again. If your dog didn't go to the bathroom, take your dog out again about 30 minutes later and repeat this until your dog goes. Praise your dog profusely when your dog succeeds and is on the leash. This will teach your dog that it needs to go when you take your dog out and not play around first. You can also give a thin hot dog sliver as a reward. It has to be timed to happen as soon as he eliminates so he associates the treat with eliminating outside. Some dogs learn quicker than others do, but once you have your dog going when it is on the leash and each time you take your dog out, you should be able to stop containing your dog. It is a lot of work, but pays off in the long run. Remember no playing or praise until your dog succeeds in going outside on a leash. The key is no time outside of the crate unless you can have your eye on them constantly to pick them up and/or take them out if you see the classic sign of impending bowel movement or urination. Also, scolding a dog for going in the house does no good unless you catch them in the act. If you do catch them, a firm NO and trip outside should be done. Here is a site with more information on crate training.http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out. You do have to respond to the bell immediately though. No waiting or he'll learn that you don't respond and will continue to go inside. One thing that will help is to feed and water him on a schedule. Keep track of when you feed and water and when he urinates and defecates. You can then determine how long after those events he has to go out to eliminate and be sure he is outside at that time. You can even adjust when you feed and water him to ensure it is a good time to do that. Another method would be to leash him to you so he is always in your sight. If he goes to eliminate, you can then give a short tug and firm NO and take him outside. Remember to reward him if he eliminates outside. Another option is to train him to paper inside but I generally don’t recommend that. I think it is better to use a sod matt than train to paper. When they are trained to paper, they think paper is the proper substance to go on. Fake grass often encourages a dog to later go on carpet since both are similar. Instead, a sod patch inside can teach a dog that grass is the desired place to eliminate. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool depending on the size of your dog. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform. Many turf farms will sell you odds and ends very cheap. If you would like instructions on paper training let me know and I’ll be glad to give them to you. If you sod train, I would have it in the area where he was going anyway so he is encouraged to go on that rather than you new carpet. Since he is male, you might use something a little larger and put a side on it so he can lift his leg and still keep the urine on the sod. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time. If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane, some of ur info has been invaluable for me. As I said before my phone is playing up so using someone else's quickly. I get a new phone friday so will get back to you then and also pay. Sorry for the delay.
Not a problem. On my way out the door for an early appointment but should be back in a few hours. I look forward to hearing from you when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane, ur information on the enzymatic odour product is so helpful. I just want to run through some of the details I typed the other night then lost. As I said 'Buster' has always done this but it's got worse over time. In the dining room/kitchen it's one place, up the dining room curtain. So bad that the flooring has frayed due to him repeatedly doing this then having to clean it. If the weather is bad & I have to dry clothes on a clothes horse round the passage radiator, he pees on the outside legs of the clothes horse. In the living room one settee leg. Upstairs on the landing, the bannister post & if say a towel is over the bannister but nearly touching the floor he pees on that too. I bought a new shower screen and stood it against the bannister in its box for a few days and he done it on this repeatedly.My bedroom is the worst, one curtain when I looked, he'd peed up it that much the stain was about 6 inches up the curtain! My bedposts, if I have a clearout and any piles of clothes are left on the floor and I leave to tend to something else he will pee on them. Any washing left on the floor to be laundered. Bin liners are his speciality! A friend visited and he pèed on his rucksack! It's like anything new to him he has to make his mark on, then to add to that he's repeatedly going back to where he's been in the places I've mentioned. When took out for a walk he's like a dog possessed. He literally goes through bushes in our Court to make a mark where he's been before. I went on holiday recently and even though he was looked after he'd obviously had a pee fest in my bedroom, the smell was terrible & this is what's lead me to seek ur advice. Someone sugessted getting him spade. Just a few last things, His pee is very yellow and almost crystalised I've noticed and only small amounts at a time.Lastly, the enzymatic product, can I get this easily in shops and just read the label? After using this is there anyththing to deter and prevent? My fear is that as I bring new flooring, furniture etc into the house he will do this all over again. I feel the cage method would only trauma him at his age. Sorry for the essay! Just thought there may be an underlying problem. Using a product you sugessted is my first aim, all flooring and carpets are being replaced but then prevention is a big concern as this will be costly for me.RegardsLisa
I'm glad you wrote so much. It always helps to have more information. What many people forget to do is clean "UP" on the things the dog has urinated on such as the items you mentioned like curtains, table legs etc, so use the enzymatic cleaner on them. Most enzymatic cleaners are pretty visible about them being enzymatic so it shouldn't be hard to find one. Natures's miracle is a popular choice. Many industrial cleaners are enzymatic as well. So it should state it is an enzymatic cleaner on the bottle. Since it is a marking issue as well as house training, obedience training might help him see that YOU own everything and not him thus he won't be as inclined to mark things that are yours. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html Increase the walks if you can. Make the path you walk go all the way around the place you live. In this way, your home is in the middle. If he marks all around the perimeter, he doesn't have to mark inside as much. It is going to take time to teach him. If you do replace carpet and flooring, be sure they use an enzymatic odor remover and seal the underflooring, etc to keep the odor from seeping back up through the new padding, flooring and carpet. You can also use a belly band and I should have mentioned that earlier. You can see these here:http://www.heartoftexasgreyhounds.com/bellyband.htm Use that when you can not watch him or for a break from the training.
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou Jane ur help has been invaluable!RegardsLisa
You are very welcome.