Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a nine month old ***** ***** cross chewawa a girl we

I have a nine month old ***** ***** cross chewawa a girl we have just moved home I have had her since she was five weeks old I have always tryed to paper train her hit and miss , now we have moved she goes to toliet everywhere apart from the paper and runs to her bed when she has gone to toliet on the carpet or my bed she knows it's wrong she will not go on the paper she goes to toliet on walks is there something wrong with her why she does this she eats okay and is lively but very thin she's up to date with vaccines treatments.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I personally believe in crate training but you have to have a crate that only allows her room enough to lay down, turn around and no extra room. If there is extra room a dog will use that extra room as a bathroom. No blankets or pillows in the crate as they learn those items soak up urine and will again urinate in the crate. So I'll give you a site on crate training. This method works on every dog I've ever used it on but you have to be consistent with your training.http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html This is how I house train all my dogs. In addition, put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that she needs to go out. Another method is to leash your girl to you all the time you are awake. Crate her when you can not leash her to you. When she starts to squat or defecate, give a little tug and firm NO then take her outside and wait for her to eliminate. Keep treats on hand like hot dog slivers to reward her when she succeeds outside. Give the treat as soon as she starts to eliminate. That way she associates the treat with eliminating outside. I have three different methods of paper training that is prewritten that I give to my clients. I'll include that here as well and then a few additional tips to house train her effectively. Containment Paper Training MethodsFor training to pads or paper, this is the best way to go about it with the least amount of stress on your dog. It will take some effort on your part. In the area that you want her to use the pad, set up an enclosure. You can use child gates, free standing pet enclosures, or anything that will serve to enclose the area you want her to use. These are the times when you will be taking your dog to the enclosure. When you feed or give your dog water, first thing in the morning, last thing at night and after extended play times. You will want to start this when you are not working or when you can spend a couple of hours in the morning and evening exclusively doing this. Enclose or barricade the area and put pads over the entire area. Scent one of the pads and place it where you will leave it when there is only one pad. When you and your dog get up in the morning, instead of taking her outside, take her to the enclosed area and put her inside it. You can leave her a few toys but basically put her in the enclosed area. It is best if you can stay there and keep an eye on her. Do not engage her with talk or play or reassurances. Just be there so you can see her when he actually goes. She may be reluctant, but do not cave in to whines or cries. You must remain calm and in control and ignore her. Sit in a chair and read or do some other activity to keep you occupied while she is in there so you are not focused on her but can still see her. It may take some time, especially the first time, but she will eventually go on the pads as she has no where else to go. When you see her start to go, you can say in a low calm voice “good potty”. It needs to be in a low quiet voice so she isn’t startled into stopping. Give her lots of praise for succeeding and perhaps a little treat and you can then remove her from the enclosure and open it up so she has access if she want to use it. The first time may take an hour or more, but if you do it first thing in the morning, it is likely to take less time. Repeat this according to the circumstances I mentioned earlier concerning when she should be going and a few extra times during the day to try and avoid accidents. After a few times going in the enclosed space and being praised for it and getting treats she should not be as reluctant to go in the enclosed area. Continue to praise and say the key wood “Potty”. When she reaches the point where she is going to the bathroom almost immediately in the enclosure on the pads, you will want to start taking up some of the pads so only a portion of the enclosed area has pads. Repeat as if the whole area was covered. Your dog should go on the pads and not the floor. If she does, continue the praise and treats. Slowly reduce the number of pads in the area until you are down to one or two only. If she should happen to miss the pad or go off the pad, add some more for the next time as you probably were taking them away too fast. At this point she knows the pads are where she should be going. Once she is going on the pads and you are down to one or two pads, don’t close up the enclosure when you put her in it. He should still use the pad as she is now used to it. When she does, again praise, praise and more praise, let her come out the opening. Continue this process if it is necessary, but with the enclosure being open, you may now find that he is going there on his own. Once you notice she is using it without you putting her in there, you should be able to take away the enclosure or barrier. She should now be trained to use the pad. Depending on how quick a learner she is, you may find she starts going in and using the pad early. If so the barrier can go earlier, but you should still only slowly reduce the number of pads she has to go on, so she doesn't miss, use the floor and think it is ok. Second method is similar but you would leave her in the enclosed area all the time unless you are taking her for a walk, and just slowly removing paper and decreasing the area inside the enclosure that is papered. As long as she continues to use the paper, you are not moving too fast. Once you are down to a small area, she should be trained. I suggest this because while the dog is contained in an area with paper, the dog may not be as stressed as when there is a cage all around him. Third methodSet up a contained small area with the paper. Then you will have the dog on a leash attached to you. I attach the leash to a belt loop on my pants. This way she is always where you can observe her easily and stop her before she starts urinating and place her in the potty area. When you see her start to squat, give a quick short tug on the leash and in a low toned, firm voice say "NO". Do not be upset. Pick her up and put her in the potty area. With this method it is best to just stand outside the area looking around ignoring the dog until she goes. Remember praise is everything. A few key things to remember with dogs. You can not yell at a dog. It does not teach them anything even if you are yelling when they are doing the bad behavior. To a dog a high tone, loud noise is associated with play such as yips and barks from another dog. With a dog all commands and corrections should be in a low toned, firm voice. A mother dog corrects their puppies with growls and nips. Other dogs command them with growls. Also, no correction or punishment for accidents unless you can catch her in the act and then the correction should be as outlined above. If you use one of the non-leash methods, you will want to let her trail a leash so you can grab the leash and make a proper correction if it is needed when she isn't contained. End of writeup Another method I developed which has had wonderful results especially with my apartment dwellers is my sod patch. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform. This works well because it is grass like the outside and helps establish the right substrate for your dog to eliminate on. You can also feed and water your dog on a schedule as long as she doesn't have a kidney issue like a urinary tract infection or kidney failure. So you will need to see the vet to rule those out as well as a disc issue that might make it difficult for her to feel the urine or feces is coming out. Chihuahuas and Terriers are prone to disc issue though they usually don't like stairs or jumping up. You log when you feed and water your girl. Then log when she deficates and urinates. You should notice a pattern after a few days. Then you can be sure she is outside at those times she is likely going to need to eliminate. In many cases, it is a combination of techniques that achieve the desired results so use as many as possible. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time. If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well.Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience: Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years