Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a create I will start using it with the

Hi jane I have a create I will start using it with the information given the reason I stop was that she constantly barks all the time she's in it she constantly barks if I pop in a shop when I have gone out and left her in a crate she barks and cris constantly , she constantly barks anyway when me or someone isn't around even though she has the kitten for company and they are very close I have brought a coller that makes a nose every time she barks for when I need to go out it does not work and it can be very imbarssing her constantly barking which seems when she doesn't get her way if I have a visitor how does not want her jumping all over them and I hold her away or cuddle to try and settle her she will bite me any ideas you can think to help ?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for requesting me for a different question concerning her possible separation anxiety and behavioral issues. I think I need to let you know that your dog is getting her way most of the time. She truly needs obedience training. This will help you control her so she won't be jumping on people and barking all the time. If you are able to control her with commands, you won't need to be picking her up to control her and that will also give her less opportunity to nip you. Dogs reprimand other members of their group when they feel they are the boss. So her nipping you when you do something she doesn't like is a good sign that she feels she is the boss and not you. So start obedience training not only to teach her commands like quiet, sit, down, and stay, but to establish yourself as the boss so she will stop reprimanding you . Only the boss reprimands. You can have her sit and stay when visitors come and reinforce this behavior by keeping a leash on her initially and slipping it under your foot before visitors come in. It keeps her from moving from her sit position and also from jumping on them. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htmhttp://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html As crazy as this sounds you may wish to teach yhour girl the speak command and then the quiet command. It seems easier to teach the quiet command after the dog has learned the speak command. The following site explains teaching speak and quiet commands.http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.htmlYou also have the option of getting a bark collar such as citronella spray collar, shock bark collars It sounds like you had an ultrasonic collar which in my opinion are worthless as dogs start ignoring the sound. It is hard to ignore the strong smell of citronella or the mild shock. These can help when you are gone. If she is having separation anxiety, you can do training for that as well. First thing is to take your dog for a nice long walk before you leave, preferably 30 minutes or long. Make it a long, quick paced walk to tire your girl out. A tired dog will likely sleep after she realizes you are gone for a while. Second is to use a low-key approach to leaving the house. Ignore your dog before you leave and after you come home for at least 5 minutes or more. If your house is hectic in the morning, this has the dog in an excited mood and then suddenly she is alone. If this is the case, put her away from everyone, say in a bathroom until the frenzy is over. Don't punish or shout at your dog when you come home and find she’s barked the whole time. When you do, you increase her stress level rather than reduce it. You can provide her with small stimulating toys or toys that you can fill with treats like the kong. Put yogurt in it and freeze it. Give as you leave. If she is busy licking the treat out in the crate, she won't be barking. Sometimes leaving a TV or radio on can help a dog with this problem as well. Also remember to not reward a dog's excitement to you with petting and affection or even eye contact. You want to show her nice calm praise when she is being calm. The best way is to crate her even if she barks. This prevents her eliminating everywhere or contain her in one area. Another thing that might help is a DAP collar. These use a pheromone to calm a dog. See one here:vetmedicine.about.com/od/behaviortraining/gr/DAP-Dog-Collar.htmPractice putting her in the crate, leaving the house, opening the door immediately and rewarding her with a hot dog treat if she did not scratch, bite and carry one. This teaches her that you leave but come back quickly. Once she seems to not do anything when you initially leave, lengthen the time she must be quiet for you to come back in. Change the time as well. Make it 2 minutes one time and 10 mintues another, so she never knows if you are gone for an hour or going to be gone for 2 minutes. It helps her stay calm for longer periods of time, just be sure you reward her when she is good. Another thing that helps is to do things that might make the dog feel you are leaving and then don't such as putting on your coat or picking up your keys. Or leave without doing those things. This helps remove things that might trigger the dog to become anxious. These should help her separation anxiety and boredom and help curb his barking. It will not be an overnight cure and will take work on your and your family’s part to be consistent in your interaction with her. Here is a site that also offers idea to combat separation anxiety.http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/overcoming-separation-anxiety.aspx Another option is medication, which is discussed on this site:http://www.fidosavvy.com/dog-separation-anxiety-medication.html I think you are going to be very happy with your girl by the time you finish the training. She will be so well behaved and a pleaure to be around. As with your previous question, please rate if you found the answers helpful. The company may have charged your account but the expert is not compensated until the customer rates the answer.