Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

What is the best way to deal with a very submissive dog

Customer Question

what is the best way to deal with a very submissive dog
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. What obedience training has she had?What does she do to make you think she is very submissive?How would you like her to act?Your dog's name is ***** ***** or is that you?Is your dog spayed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my name is ***** ***** the dogs name greta and i have yet to adopt her
Thanks for that additional information. Dogs in strange surroundings often act very submissive as it isn't their territory. However, even if she is a submissive dog, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. A submissive dog won't be as likely to develop dominance issues which is always a good thing. However, many submissive dogs tend to display submission urination or crings and role at the first sign of dominance including a harsh voice or leaning over them. While you can't change the fact she is submissive by nature, you can help her be less submissive. One way is to obedience train her. As she learns what humans expect her to do when you say certain words, it makes her more self confident. As she gains self confidence she will naturally be less submissive. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htmhttp://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html The NILF program also teaches her what is expected of her and accomplishes the same as the obedience training does. Many dogs are submissive because they don't know what people expect of them and just submit to avoid reprimands. Some other helpful things are to not allow others or yourself to lean over her. If you have to attach a leash, crouch down and have her come to you so you are not leaning over her. That is seen as a dominant gesture. Try not to move fast around her and never use physical reprimands only verbal. It doesn't have to be loud just low toned to qualify as a reprimand. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.