Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My staffie is 15 years old has lost the nerve endings in his

My staffie is 15 years old has lost the nerve endings in his back legs but still manages to climb the stairs and eats very still and still very excitable. We take him out for a short walk plus we have a large garden which he goes to the toilet but everytime he comes back into the house he goes to the toilet again either weeing or pooing I dont understand why he is doing this. Can you advise
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. Is the urine or feces just falling out of him or does he either lift his leg or squate when he comes in?Does he do it right after he comes in or at other times?Does he have disc issues?What have you tried so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thereOn two occasions he has had antibiotics and steroids. Didn't seem to do much. As soon stripes comes in he will do a poo he will squat to do that he hasn't coked his leg for a while to wee he again squats to do that. Sometimes when he's on his bed poo will just come out but that hadn't happened for a while and yes sometimes it does drop out of him
Thanks for the additional information. It sounds like he has developed a disc issues. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. In milder cases you see avoidance of stairs and jumping and often an inability to control the bladder and bowels. You can read about this here:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspxhttp://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx Large dog breeds sometimes suffer from a condition called degenerative myelopathy(DM) which can also cause problems with the rear legs and paralyses. This is a problem found in Staffies You can read about this here:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/degenerative-myelopathy/page1.aspxhttp://asgvets.com/canine-degenerative-myelopathy/ Antiinflammatory medications such as steroids are one treatment for disc issues along with strict inactivity and I see he has been on those already. However, there isn't a whole lot to be done with DM. They do have medications that can help with urinary incontinence. One is phenylpropanolamine which can help tighten the bladder sphincter muscle. It works better on smooth muscles but still may help the rectal tissue as well. You can read about this here:http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/phenylpropanolamine A few things that can help with fecal incontinence are adding fiber to the diet to firm up the feces. A few spoonfuls of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) added to the food works well for this purpose. The main issue is that your dog may not even be feeling the urine and fecal matter until it was already starting to come out and thus is squatting at the last minute. A diaper may be the best option in your dog's case. He is quite elderly which speaks volumes to the care you have given him. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.