Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I live next door to two big Alsatian dogs. They are left

I live next door to two big Alsatian dogs. They are left alone all day by their owner. In the evenings the owner is often out. The dogs are outside and can bark continuously for 1,2,3 or 4 hours.i suffer from serious mental illness problems and the dogs are making me ill and interfering with my sleep.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What part of the country do you live in?

Are you sleeping during the day or are the dogs barking late at night?

About what time in the evening does the behavior stop?

What time does it start in the morning?

What have you tried so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Nuneaton warks near Coventry. I can't sleep during the day because of ambient noise and the dogs barking occasionally. The problem is with the dogs barking continuously or a lot of the time in the evening or late at night. Typically the barking can last from 6 pm to 9 pm, 10 pm or on one occasion to 11pm. It all depends on when the owner comes home. On various occasions the dogs bark after 11 pm. For example 11.30 pm, 11.45 pm, 12 pm and 12.30 am. Recently the owner didn't return home in the evening. The dogs were left out side all night and barked throughout the night. I got no sleep. The dogs are let out about 8am just before the owner goes to work. They are left out all day and fed at lunchtime. I haven't felt able to approach the owner or the council. Because of my mental health problems and anxiety I am unable to live at my house a lot of the time. I feel intimidated and the whole situation is damaging my health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

You have the option of reporting the behavior to the council in your area. Before doing so, I'd try and document the behavior by video taping the clock on your computer and letting it record the dog's barking behavior. If you have a few instances on tape and then keep a written log of the nuisance barking, you should have a valid complaint to the council.

You might also get a sonic anti bark device. It uses noise that is inaudible to the human ear to distract the dogs when they bark. This is usually effective for a little while. The problem is that the dog will get used to the noise and start ignoring it. See one such device here:

http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/a/anti-bark-b.htm?pk_campaign=Adwords-Bark-Broad-Modified&pk_kwd=%2Banti%20%2Bbark%20%2Bdevice&gclid=CKGIzNPQoM0CFYIlgQodvGMDJA

You might also offer to purchase citronella spray anti bark collars for the dogs in question. These would need to be on the dogs to be effective.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PetSafe-Anti-Bark-Spray-Collar-Citronella/dp/B00EAPCD92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465670733&sr=8-1&keywords=citronella+dog+collar

Since they are not your dogs, there really isn't much else you can do beyond what I mentioned. You might think about sound proofing your bedroom if the council and the devices don't help the situation.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.