Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

I have a 3 year old Yorkshire terrier who went tiny 13 he

I have a 3 year old Yorkshire terrier who went for my tiny 13 he old, her eye would have. Had to come out (she was totally blind) but thought it best to put her to sleep. I would like another companion for my 3 he old but will she do the same?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Had the two dogs fought before?

Was the older dog blind for long before that?

Do you know what started the fight?

What obedience training does the yorkie have?

The Yorkie is female correct?

What sex dog are you considering?

Are you looking for a pup or an adult?

Are you getting a similar sized dog?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane, thanks for your reply. Daisy was bought as a pup, at that time Susie was just starting to go blind. Last year Daisy went for Susies head, which required an emergency vet, they were delegated for a few months while I was out at work or in bed via a medium size cage. Daisy was given lots of attention, and I assumed that was ok. However a fortnight ago while we were having tea, Daisy just attacked Susie with any provokation. The vet said she needed her eye removing, with the expense and her age we decided putting her to sleep would be the best thing.
Daisy has had no obedience training, I've had Yorkies before and never had this happen. Two bitches trying to be the dominant one, but Susie was no way dominant.
I was thinking about getting a male dog, either a Maltese terrier the same size or a Labrador. I am looking to adopt an adult, but first I need an expert opinion. I may even have to ask someone to look at Daisy at home.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

Daisy does need some obedience training at a minimum. All dogs regardless of breed, small, large, etc should have obedience training to allow you to control their actions without having to physically grab them. In addition, it helps when you have multiple dogs to have them obedience trained.

The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Daisy has matured into an adult and with Suzie having medical issues, Daisy would be the logical choice for top dog even if she was not dominant by nature. So if Daisy started thinking she was in charge and did things like walk through a door first or push past Suzie to get to you or even eat first, Suzie might go to reprimand Daisy even if it was just to push back or a growl or just get close to her. Daisy, now that she is mature may have decided that she was going to reprimand Suzie with a bite. Of course, Suzie would fight back.

I am sorry you had to have her put to sleep. It is always traumatic to lose a family member. We recently had to euthanize one of ours so I know it was a hard decision. You definitely want to get a male dog and one that is pretty easy going. I would tend to get one just a little larger than Daisy if it was me. That would help minimize any injuries if a fight ever was to occur. Since she is not dominant by nature, , she should not have a problem especially with a male dog. Now if you do go for a labrador, I would try for one 3 years old or more and well behaved. I'd also take your girl to where ever you get him at so you can see how they interact on his territory. I'd also try to arrange a few of these type visits before bringing him home. That way they can get used to one another as well before he enters her territory.

I'd also crate him a good part of the day initially so she gets used to his presence and smell. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.