Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Animal Behaviorist
Experience:  Dog breeder/Trainer and Behaviorist 18+ years
2361900

My dog is the best, she's a big labradoodle. When she's

HI
My dog is the best , she's a big labradoodle.
When she's scared she come to me to help her, if she's hurt she comes to me, I feed her and walk her. so I think she knows I'm her mum and carer.
my husband plays with her and we both give her a lot of love. He is definitely the alpha male in our family.
my question is - when ever she sits with my husband she always puts her face next to his and curls up with him. with me she always turns her face away from me.
is there a reason for this?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs do not like hugs and kisses despite what we humans think. Now some dogs tolerate being kissed and hugged. You can read about this here:

http://doggonesafe.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-love-your-dog-believe-it-or-not.html

Now if you are the one who trained her, feeds her and takes her for walks, she views you as her boss. While you might see your husband as the alpha, she might see him as being on an equal footing with her and thus feels more comfortable playing and laying with him. That is the simple version and a lot of factors come into play. It does not mean that she loves him more just that she likely respects you more given you control her resources like food and water, etc. You likely were the one who initially taught her commands and house trained her which also set you up to be her boss.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.