Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My rescue Westie eats 3 times a day a nd drinks copious

Customer Question

My rescue Westie eats 3 times a day a nd drinks copious amounts of water from afternoon on.I've had her tested for Cushings and diabetes and results are negative.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman and am happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your Westie is having this issue. It sounds like a few of the primary causes of increased water intake were ruled out. There are other possibilities to consider:

- Diabetes insipidus which is completely different than the regular diabetes mellitus. There is no increase in glucose levels and it is related to an impaired production of a hormone called ADH (anti-diuretic hormone) from the brain (central DI), or an impaired ability of the kidney to respond properly to the ADH (nephrogenic DI). CLICK HERE for more information on this condition. Often the only way to diagnose this is either an MRI which is not always conclusive or response to treatment with desmopressin which is a medication that is applied as an eye drop and if used with DI the increased water intake will taper but if not then the diagnosis of exclusion is
- Psychogenic Polydypsia which is essentially that there is no physiologic cause of increased water intake that we can understand but a dog feels the need to drink copiously because of thirst. There is no treatment but to allow access to fresh water and outdoors. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

Since diabetes mellitus and cushing's has been ruled out these would be my top differentials for your beloved Westie. I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!