Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

My Doberman is generally okay when meeting other dogs when

Customer Question

My Doberman is generally okay when meeting other dogs when he is OFF the lead but when I'm hanging on the end of his lead he is almost uncontrollable.
He is also barks at anything OUTSIDE the car when I'm driving to the gallops and he does the same when in the house.
Can his excessive protectionism be controlled ?
He is 8 years old and neutered.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Do you find yourself clutching the lead tighter when he is on it and another dog is coming up on you?

Does he bark in the car if someone else is driving and you are in the car?

So he barks excessively in the house as well?

how much obedience training has he had?

How often do you train with him?