DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Other
Experience:  Therapy Dog Evaluator,AKC Evaluator, 27 years dog behavior,modification, Emergency Pet first aide in disasters
3570977

We have a 11 year old patterdale terrier, who when someone

We have a 11 year old patterdale terrier, who when someone pats her while out a walk, will be fine for a second but then starts nipping their hand or grabbing their sleeve.
Is there any way to stop this other than not letting anyone pat her?
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

You can give a command to have the dog stop and that command is Leave it. Then you should give a follow up command. Such as sit -stay.

This action that the dog does is one for attention which you can turn into a command as well. We often reward this behavior and then put the command "tug" to it when the dog grabs the sleeve. This is how service dogs learn to help their owner take off their coat , gloves and other articles of clothing. Usually once a cue has been put to an annoying behavior , the dog then only performs the cue on command.

Below is a link for clicker training which will show you how to teach the leave it command.

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

Clicker leave it- video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEeS2dPpPtA

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for this, I am most concerned about her biting the person hands, it doesn't appear to be an aggressive snap but more a nipping/biting.What is the best way to stop this? I am reluctant to let people pat her now as she seems to be doing this more regularly.

Teach her the leave it, and use that when you see her begin to do this. This should have her stop what she is doing and give the person a long enough time to get in a quick pat. Then put her in a sit stay at your side.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try this.What do you think causes her to do this? She doesn't do this with us at home, it seems to just be when she meets someone new.

She may be feeling a little anxious at meeting another that approaches her. Gentle nibbling or licking is a way to show she means no harm.