Pawsitivtrainr
Pawsitivtrainr, Dog Trainer
Experience:  35+ years Training Dogs
43433232

I have 5 dogs, two male deerhounds who are entire and 3

Customer Question

I have 5 dogs, two male deerhounds who are entire and 3 little rescue dogs, 2 bitches who have been spayed and one male who is neutered. I don't have any issues with the little ones. I haven't had any issues with the Deehounds until about 2 weeks ago. Ollie my oldest Deerhound who is 5 has always been top dog however Freddie who is now 3.5 years old has started to challenge him to the point that they have both had a fight recently which wasn't pleasant. Freddie's body language is not good around Ollie my oldest. Just wondered about your thoughts on getting one of them neutered or would it be best to get them both neutered.
Category: Dog Training
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as a service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated. I am reviewing your question now.

I would consider getting both of them neutered to take down the testosterone in the home in general.

I would also consider putting them both on the learn to earn program so that you are seen as head of household, taking that distinction away from them.

I would consider positive obedience training daily in short sessions , individually so this furthers your status. I would recommend that the leave it command be taught to 100% accuracy so that you can stop a fight before it happens.

At this point , by keeping things the way they are now, you are actually teaching them a learned behavior of come together and fight. We want to stop that now by getting the above in place and I would keep them separate until you have had time to get some training in place.

Are you familiar with clicker training and behavior adjustment training? How about the learn to earn program?