Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, PhD
Experience:  40yrs interpreting dreams & connecting conscious & unconscious minds
55153673

I have a recurring dream where I am in an elevator falling.

Customer Question

I have a recurring dream where I am in an elevator falling. Sometimes I wake up when the lift carriage hits the ground, sometimes I manage to save myself by spreading myself across the floor of the lift or wedging myself in the sides of the lift car. Its very weird and I hae this dream at least once a month.
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Norman Brown :

I responded to your question 2 hours ago and the website system wiped it off. But I copied it to my own Word file. So here it is again! This is a classic dream type, but to find out how it applies to you and what potential guidance it holds for you, I'd need to find out about your own circumstances related to the dream.

Dr. Norman Brown :

The most likely life-equivalent of the symbol of falling elevator is recurrent Depression. You seem to be staving off depression with desperate measures. Do you work very hard to prop yourself up? What situations do you live with that seem to be repeatedly pulling the bottom out from underneath your life, so you don’t have any realistic ground to stand on, or nothing to “stand for?” Were there certain people who used to be your main support base—even like the foundation of your whole personality, such as the parents who built the home you grew up in—who have now somehow disappeared from your life, or proved to be too unstable to be your bedrock? This kind of a “loss of foundation” can occur when the parents whose constant relationship you grew up with have seen their trust and love crumble and end in divorce, or worse.

If you have any history of depression in your family, how have other family members coped with it? Now I’ll have to wait until you can provide some response to my direction of interpretation that brings it closer to what’s important to you at this time. For I don’t even know your gender or age, let alone anything about what could be threatening your emotional stability in life. If you don’t think feeling low, but strong enough to keep yourself from bottoming out most of the time is close to what’s going on in your emotional life on a recurrent basis, then give me some of your own ideas about what IS going on month after month.

Customer :

I am not currently suffering with depression and would say that any depressive episodes or feelings that I have are completely normal and not a reflection of a medical problem. That said, I am extremely unhappy in my job and am desperate to work for myself and run my own business.

Customer :

I have not had nayone, such as parents, who have disappeared and have good relationships with them and see them on a fairly regular basis.

There is a history of depression in my family however, and my aunts, sister and father all take antidepressants for this.

Customer :

I am male and 26 years old.

Customer :

Finally, it is worth knowing that I suffer with a debilitating anxiety disorder that has had a significant impact on me since I was a toddler. I take Cipralex for this and also Xanax when the anxiety is particularly bad.

Dr. Norman Brown, PhD
Experience: 40yrs interpreting dreams & connecting conscious & unconscious minds

Our chat has ended, but we can still converse for a week or more.

I'm sorry you have that yoke to bear in life. My wife does too. Both depression and anxiety--and so does our daughter, who is also 26 and has a debilitating genetic disorder (what's your birthday?) When I taught about personality development in college (I was full time in both Psych and Humanities) I stated that depression would work during prehistory for defeated or enslaved tribes to help them die off so they wouldn't use up resources that the dominant tribe controlled. But depressed genes have survived, because those that bear them have to work harder to find ways to be recognized as useful to their society. So perhaps you really do need to be doing something special that benefits those around you. Anxiety is related to shyness, making it very difficult to be successful in extraverted careers. Perhaps it's actually something introverted and creative that would fulfill you. Check out the self test for Highly Sensitive Person online. (My wife and I are both HSP, she's a reader, former therapist, writer musician and jewelry artist. I'm a furloughed professor, therapist, writer, musician, and solo-hiker.) For if you really NEED to be doing something that Highly Sensitive Persons are oriented towards, then it's not too late to set up a plan to get there and do that, even though it's not what you might have expected to do. For depressed people are NOT depressed when they're creative in ways that fit for them--and the varieties of your elevator-fall dreams might have clues to what empowers you to walk out of the enclosed shaft into the Springtime of budding creative life.

You could also take the self test for your Jungian Type at www.humanmetrics.com and report your results on both to me--for the Jungian Type also points toward types of careers that are more likely to be fulfilling.

Since you already pay some attention to your dreams, you can choose to embark on the Jung***** *****fe-path of "Individuation" which is guided by regular practices designed to bring your conscious mind and its thought- and learning-experiments together with your unconscious mind that expresses itself symbolically through dreams and unexpected high energy sparks within a momentary encounter, which Jung, in correspondence with German quantum mechanics genius Wolfgang Pauli, called "Synchronicity" (yep Sting isn't the only Brit who's lit up to that type of dramatic recognition). So you could keep a dream notebook and learn dream interpretation--though the fullness of interpretation usually requires an adept outside of yourself, because you're too likely to flatter your ego with interpretations your conscious mind expects or likes.

There are many such practices developed by religions and yogas throughout the world. They include meditations and prayers, where both can awaken the same energies that are at work when dream-film-clips are presented spontaneously every night. So when you meditate on a question (such as related to your yearning to start your own business) before sleep, you can get a dream that makes you aware it is a response to your question. You can also learn to do Tarot readings or more easily throw coins to look up I-Ching readings (Jung helped bring that Chinese oracular book to the West, whose aim is to train thoughtful people to become wise in the DAO of going with the Cosmic changes). If you pray for particular qualities or forces to manifest themselves in you (like perhaps the craft-or-grace to transform anxiety into beneficial energies)--or the love to experience the beauty and greatness in others--then your synchronicity-adventures could show you the rapid response of your outer world to such inwardly repeatedly reinforced intentions.

What I'm suggesting is that an anxiety disorder may be a manifestation of a unique energy-frequency that actually requires tuning of your personal conscious focus to it--which nobody is ever taught how to do--in order to convert it into a highly effective but "abnormal" quasi-electrical matabolic rate for consuming your body-mind-caterpillar experience through your human-kind and bioelectric outer world.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Normal, Wht does this sentence mean?

Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that sentence is so garbled that it could have been written by an alien intelligence--not my intention, but sometimes the X-files reruns start to invade my consciousness without any warning. I'll translate that sentence later tonight.

OK. That free-fall experience you dream about in the elevator could be a visceral image of anxiety as well as a visual-symbol of depression, The exact details of the variants on your dream, especially IN RELATION to what happened on the previous day or evening that was somewhat out-of-the-ordinary and could therefore have triggered the dream, might provide more clues about what ways you might possibly change your life goals or lifestyle in order to achieve a more satisfying balance between yourself and your surrounding world. Or to put that another way, There May Not Be a Magic Lifestyle that would transform your anxiety-plagued life into a harmonious paradise; but seeking ways to transform anxious discomfort into excitement, enjoyment and satisfaction by successive approximation might lead you into new goals and methods for living that would in time become the way of life that you could realize as the best thing for you.

I'm not satisfied that I can't find any more precise hints on what your dreams might be showing you for dealing successfully with the anxiety that is probably imaged in your dreams--because repeating dreams are emphasizing their nature in order to insist that you act on them in some way that will eventuate in them changing, or even stop them altogether. But there's not enough detail in the generalizations you've made about falling elevator dreams to suggest any strategies for changing your waking behavior and experience.

Now I don't know what happened to my lengthy response. But rereading the dream, I now see that you're able to stave off a feared death by wedging yourself side-2-side in the elevator cabin. Intuition suggests that perhaps practicing yoga that involves SLOW and QUIET movements would lead you to a physically based mental tranquility.