Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, PhD
Experience:  40yrs interpreting dreams & connecting conscious & unconscious minds
55153673

My son keeps having this dream about his dad trying to find

My son keeps having this dream about his dad trying to find us to kill us. Sometimes it is about the aunty who has been hostile to us. We have gone through traumatic times and the famiy broke down. I thought we are a bit settled now so I don't understand the dreams. Sometimes he asks if he could sleep in my room. Could this be linked to his dreams?
Category: Dream Interpretation
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 2 years ago.
Yes. It sounds like he's still feeling someone's hostility over the split between you and your exhusband, whether it's coming through him, or you, or his hostile sister, or more than one of you. If you can talk to him about his father, it would be better for him if he could believe that his father cares about Him, EVEN if you're aware of hostility still smoldering between your ex and you. Children that young can build up very high-tension emotional fantasy-stories about the battleground that was once their secure home life. Out of their fear of being helpless to avoid the destruction their unstructured fears have amplified, such young children are likely to invent some way that they themselves did something that caused the breakdown of their family--for bearing some blame is better than feeling powerless, because it might mean he could do something to prevent more suffering in the future.
So it's better for him if you can let him sleep near you, and also ask him to tell his dreams and help him to imagine he has some power to defend himself and talk back to the threatening characters. And give his father a loving spin if you can do that for his sake.