Family Physician
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

We want to immigrate to Australia. I have been offered a job;

Customer Question

We want to immigrate to Australia. I have been offered a job; the main condition is the outcome of a medical. The problem I have is I some cannabis on what you might say was a regular basis. Instead of going to the pub every Friday night I have a smoke instead. They check for HIV, Hepatitis (not sure which one), Diabetes, Cancer or malignancy, Heart and/or blood condition, Kidney or bladder disease. Would one of the above tests show that there is THC in my system?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question:

A physical examination and the tests for HIV, hepatitis, diabetes, cancer and other tests you mention would NOT detect regular use of cannabis.

HOWEVER, you may want to check if they also require drug testing. With regular use; the detection period in urine drug tests is 10-15 days (and up to 30 days in heavier daily use).