Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

hi - ive ban for drink and driving a year ago now and in

Customer Question

hi - i've ban for drink and driving a year ago now and in order to get my license back i will have to pass a medical test first which its for the dvla to check if I'm an alcohol dependant or i've misuse alcohol.
im 35 years old, I'm a professional polo player and i've done sports all my life, i don't smoke and i never had any illness or health problems before in my life, i do enjoy my beer and i do drink more than i should and been drinking quite heavily for a while..( 6 pints very two days)..
however now knowing that the medical is coming soon (end of this month i think), i;ve completely stop and started to drinking dandelion tea, green tea, eat garlic, celeries, carrots,water, I'm taking some tables ( liver care ) which are amino acids,dandelion and milk thistle, twice a day and a vitamin c tablet every morning. i do obviously understand that each individual system and liver is different but i would like to know if what I'm taking is correct, or if there is something else i should be taking or eating/ drinking, basing the info I'm giving is there any chance you could tell me how long will it take for the blood reading to be normal?, anyway I'm slightly worried as i really need my license back, and i can afford to wait another 6 month before my next medical in case i fail.. many thanks.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

If you stay off alcohol for a couple weeks that should be fine.

JACUSTOMER-tjtxgghq- :

Hi Dr Phil.

Dr. Phil, MD :

There is no good evidence that these vitamins will help you but they probably won't hurt

Dr. Phil, MD :

If you stay off alcohol, drink lots of water, eat a healthy diet and exercise, that would be fine.

Dr. Phil, MD :

your liver tests will come back to normal and you will pass the medical test

Dr. Phil, MD :

just give it a couple weeks

Dr. Phil, MD :

I would avoid the liver tablets and the milk thistle

Dr. Phil, MD :

Your liver is quite capable of healing itself. The liver is like the garbage cleaner of the body

Dr. Phil, MD :

It is very resilient

JACUSTOMER-tjtxgghq- :

thanks for chatting with me i'venn off the road for a year now and in a forum of a drink and driving web page i've read that some people were off alcohol fro 3 moths and fail the medical… so i got worried that mine is in a moth and i can really fail, can you please suggest anything else for me to eat/take/drink?, many thanks

Dr. Phil, MD :

There is really nothing proven to "heal the liver"

Dr. Phil, MD :

Just eat lots of fruits and vegetables, drink water and exercise. Live clean and healthy

Dr. Phil, MD :

It will come back to normal in a month for sure

Dr. Phil, MD :

I suspect these people that failed their tests were not eating properly or were doing other unhealthy things

Dr. Phil, MD :

If you are living healthy, you will be ok

Dr. Phil, MD :

I can assure you of that.

Dr. Phil, MD :

If have to step away for about 5 minutes. If you have more questions, I'm happy to help when I get back. I'm very sorry.

JACUSTOMER-tjtxgghq- :

ok doctor i will do what you suggest, i do eat very healthy any way and exercise due to my job very regularly i will include lots of water, stop the tablets and hopefully will be all right, many thanks for your help!

Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.

As a medical review officer - with specialized training in drug testing, I would like to offer some additional information.

The current DVLA testing protocol uses the CDT test.

While in most cases, the CDT test will decline below the positive threshold within several weeks of stopping all alcohol, this test can remain elevated for longer periods of time as indicated in this study;
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22032939

I believe the suggestion that you will be fine in "several weeks" or even 1 month may be misleading. The reference study had some tests in people for 6 weeks or more. There is really nothing to suggest that "eating properly" or "living healthy" will change the detection period for CDT. The only thing that we know that will reduce the CDT is complete abstinence from alcohol.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm really sorry- i've meant to press excellent service and just realised i've pressed the poor service one..many thanks for your answer!

Thank you - I referred the question to customer service so that they can correct that error.