Family Physician
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

Enlarged Prostate cause high alcohol reading

Customer Question

Would a very large and enlarged prostate cause a slightly or higher alcohol reading. I have had a reading of 3mgs of the prescribed limit. I hardly had anything to drink and only empty about 60% of my bladder at a time and due to this thought that I might get a higher reading due to retaining alcohol for longer as I cannot pass the urine completely

Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question:

An enlarged prostate will not cause an elevated alcohol reading directly, however this can lead to incomplete emptying of the bladder which will PROLONG detection of alcohol in urine. Essentially, older urine (formed when the alcohol level in blood was higher) can give detectable levels for a longer period after blood alcohol has dropped to zero.