Family Physician
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

I am a recovered alcoholic of 8 years. Recently I made the

Customer Question

I am a recovered alcoholic of 8 years. Recently I made the stupid mistake of using diazapam on a daily basis for about 3 weeks. About 20-40mg a day. This resulted in someone noticing my changed relaxed behaviour. I have denied the extent of the use but have admitted to using it a few times. This was 4 weeks ago. My social worker is now insisting on blood testing for alcohol to check I did not lapse back into drinking. (Which I am unconcerned about as I did not drink at all). The test they are asking for is a liver function test LFT). My question is will this test show up the extent of my diazapam use. I am now not using and back into recovery. The last diazapam I took was 2 weeks ago. The only other drug I am on is an antidepressant.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
I'm glad to hear that you stopped using the Diazepam. Urine tests can detect use (but would not be able to determine the daily dose) for several weeks, but a liver function test would not be affected by the use of Diazepam 2-4 weeks previously.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. So to clarify taking up to 40mg and occasionally 50mg of un-prescribed diazapam for a few weeks would not effect my liver function test results. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I'm sorry for the delay - I was traveling today, and just now arrived where I could access my computer.

No - I would not expect an significant effect on liver function tests based on this use.