Family Physician
Family Physician, Board Certified MRO
Experience:  Medical Review Officer - Physician Trained and certified in drug test interpretation
1304720

I have been on antabuse and experience so bad side effects.

Customer Question

I have been on antabuse and experience so bad side effects. Last dose taken tuesday at 23.pm and no dose today and tomorrow. I have received various responses.I have checked with everyone, doctors online and the ER. No one can tell why I have these severe response to the medication: very dizzy,light headed, feeling very tired, and difficulty to breath.
I have taken small dose cocaine. I do not know wheater this has an effect on antabuse. I have checked the web for hours and there are mixed opinions.
My question is and I hope to get a clear answer this time as I am tired of not finding out:
1.) Is cocaine and antabuse(disulfiram) affecting each other. That is does Disulfiram prevent cocaine to work i.e. feel good and energy effect?
2.) on the other hand does cocaine effect antabuse and could my side effect be related to the cocaine,, which is not much intake at all.
3.) What else could my reaction be a result of. I am on valium for sleep problems and atm I am on Alprazolam 0.5 mg.
4.) how long until I will feel normal again. When does the antabuse effect take off?
I really would appreciate a response and a good one.! I am tired of not knowing what is king on.
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Family Physician replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question:

There is at least 1 report of serious interaction between cocaine and Antabuse (disulfiram), although there are more studies suggesting that it may actually be safe and effective in treating those with cocaine abuse.

Tjere does not seem to be any interaction between Antabuse and Xanax (alprazolam)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2338112

You may be having reactions based on small amounts of alcohol in foods, some hand sanitizers, non-alcoholic beer etc. Many people have reactions with even VERY small amounts of alcohol.