Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Was pregnant had pneumonia and pleurisy and taking antidepressants

Customer Question

was pregnant had pneumonia and pleurisy and taking antidepressants and beta blockers whilst pregnant .
my son was born prem at 36 weeks but a heavy weight of 6.8ibs
feeding and putting on weight well
but died at 12weeks in my arms , i drank an alcoholic drink in the evening but was still very aware. he fell asleep in my arms and died.
would a toxicology test determend that the cause of death was through medication i was taking when pregnant or determained that it was my fault for drinking an alcholic drink the night he died?
how long is the toxicology tests ? he had post morteum but unexplained and said they can tell he was well looked after.
but now an inquest is being held of his body tissues will they be able to tell me that the difficult pregnancy was cause of death by prescribed drugs?
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
I am sorry for your loss.
Were you breastfeeding at the time of the death your son?
If so, were you taking any medicines?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

An autopsy at 12 weeks of age would not detect any of the medicines that were taken during the pregnancy that then entered the baby via the placenta.

However, if you are breastfeeding and are currently taking any medicines, then toxicology would be able to determine drug or alcohol levels that may have gotten to the infant via the breast milk.

If you responded that you were taking medicines, it would be worth discussing what medicines were being taken, as certain medicines are more likely to be transmitted via breast milk.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.