Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Madam, I am very sensitive to alcohol and after 2

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam, I am very sensitive to alcohol and after 2 beers i have a bad hangover of nausea, headaches and fatigue the morning after. I want to enjoy maybe going out with friends once or twice a month and having a few beers. I have heard milk thistle
a natural supplement can help the liver process toxins and is very effective, they sell this in herbal shops. Is milk thistle safe to have with alcohol and do you think this is worth trying? Do you have any further suggestions on what may help limit my hangover
symptoms as i am very sensitive to alcohol and i do not drink at all now. However i feel my social life is declining and i am becoming depressed. I really need some advice so i can enjoy myself once or twice a month and limiting my hangover side effects so
they are less bad the morning after. I hope someone can please help me out, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards, ***** *****
Category: Drug Testing
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Abby,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe medical advice here is to avoid alcohol.You don't have the enzymes to handle alcohol.That is why the sensitivity.People such as your self who persist in drinking can have end organ damage with very mild to moderate drinking, for example, heart failure.Talk to your doctor.Do not drink. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much for your response.I have spoken to my doctor and my health is in perfect shape, including my liver and heart.Will milk thistle be beneficial as my doctor does feel i have the enzymes to handle alcohol, so my question is basically how to limit or prevent a hangover? Will milk thistle be okay to try after a drinking session and will this be beneficial?Do you have any other advice or anything else i can try to help prevent or limit my hangover please? Whether this is natural remedies or prevention. As i have heard that having a multi-vitamin supplement after drinking can help replenish alot of vitamins and minerals that alcohol has depleted?I really hope you can reply in detail as this information would really help me out.
I did not say you are not healthy.
I said that you do not have the enzymes to break down alcohol in the correct fashion.
There is no way that your doctor measured this.
That would require specialized labs.
Drinking is dangerous for you.
I will not change my recommendation.
Avoid alcohol. You can have a non alcohol beer.
There is no product that is going to prevent a hangover.
That currently is a myth.
And even if it did, you would be covering up what your body is trying to tell you.
Do not drink.
I saw no positive rating on my last answer. We are only paid per rating.
Please click a positive on this post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for avoiding my question, i did not say you had to change your recommendation, neither do i have to comply with this.Is there a product or method that will lessen the severity of a hangover. I drink very small amounts, very infrequently and i do not want to change to a non alcoholic beer.I think i am allowed 1 or 2 beers a month. I highly doubt from speaking to my doctor and conducting very thorough research that this will have a severe affect on my health.Hope you do not avoid the question, i know your recommendation is not to drink and i understand that. I chose to avoid your recommendation and please want advise on how to lessen the severity of a hangover. Hope this is completely clear.
Please see my answer above.There is no product that will help you avoid a hangover.I stated this very clearly in my last answer.All such products are myths.In your case, unless there were a medical way to change your enzyme biodynamic, which there is not currently, then you can not change this tendency.Milk thistle will help provide some degree of liver protection, but will not change your enzyme deficiency.Nor will any other product.There are many conjectures about products that do prevent hangovers, but none have panned out, and there are no medical trials that show effectiveness. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can you claim such products are myths without having hard facts in front of you? That is a very general statement to make "Nor will any other product" have you medical evidence of the failed effectiveness of the other products, can you provide supporting evidence?I really question your professionalism as a MD, as i have not heard a professional talk with such generalisation. It is like saying that all beers lead to cancer, i cannot make that claim as i have no hard facts.Would a enzyme biodynamic supplement or general enzyme supplement help a hangover, or do you have hard facts that this does not work either?
As I have said, there are no hard facts that any products work.Is there proof that none of them work? Or course not.But, you will. be essentially experimenting on yourself.As an MD, there is no product according to MD evidenced based medicine and standard of care that we recommend as being able to prevent a hangover. Apparently, your own MD has not made such a recommendation either.We answer medical questions on the site.We do not make recommendations for unproven products.In addition, given your history, I recommend that you do not drink.Good luck.