Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My kindle shows the left half dormant and the right half live

My kindle shows the left half dormant and the right half live with the RH page page of print. Can you assist.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

Even if it does not look like it is charging and even though it may be fully charged charge it using a different wall outlet than you normally do (a different room is best) for at least 10 minutes.

Do not skip that even if it is fully charged from you already plugging it in, it is important to do it.

It sounds like the firmware may be frozen try this and let me know the results hold the power switch for at least 60 seconds.

Try this at least 6 times.

The firmware can sometimes get frozen the same way that a computer will occasionally.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I regret that despite trying your advice when I press the start button I can only keep the green light on for about 8 seconds the it goes out despite me continuing to keep the pressure on. I then tried starting the process agin but the same thing happened.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok when you plug it in does the light turn on at all?
Which model Kindle is it?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is an early edition of the kindle. Yes the light does com on at first when i pressed the green button it stayed on while I had pressure on it but then it started going out after about 8secs.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
The light only turns on when you put pressure on the plug into the port?
That is not good and usually means there is a hardware problem that would require a new part.
How old is the Kindle?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is just over 2 yrs. bought xmas 2012. The light stays on when it is in the port when being charged. It is when I press the power button. on the kindle that it only stays on for about 8 secs. depute continuing the pressure.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok look on the back there should be a tiny model number starting with a D what is that number?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

DO 1100

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok what you are describing normally means the battery inside the Kindle has failed and needs to be replaced. Even though they are rechargeable they do eventually die. You can get a replacement battery from here: Click Here This video shows how to replace it: Click Here If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have tried to contact you by clicking but did not get through. How much are the batteries and are the easy to fit.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
The price is £19.00 and they are relatively easy to replace if you have opened up electronic devices in the past. If you can open it this video shows how to do it: Click Here If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when i press the side it does actually turn the page but i can only read half of it which is useless.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok that no longer sounds like the battery then, that sounds like the screen itself. Is there any way you can take a picture for me so I can be sure?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Basically on the right I get half of any page of normal printing. On the left there is about one and a half inches which looks like a row of pointed pencils.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Kind of like this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not quite but is normal on the right and on the left is what you normally when you open up.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok can you take a picture for me please?The image I gave you was all I could come up with that fits a description of pointed pencils. It sounds like your screen is damaged but without seeing it I can not say that for sure.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried to send a photo but I am not sufficiently computer literate. Perhaps we can leave it. I will click the OK button

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will just leave it and try to replace it at a later date. Thanks for your time and heel pin this matter,

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Ok I will send a few more examples maybe that will help:

If it is similar in any way to any of these images it means the screen on the Kindle has failed and would need to be replaced. The screen normally costs around the same price as a battery. From what you have told me it sounds like the screen is partially damaged which unfortunately means in order to fix it the screen would need to be replaced. Originally I thought it was the battery because of you mentioning the flashing light which usually indicates the battery but it would not cause this with the screen. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.