Josh
Josh, Technician
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

I cannot use my kindle which I have had for years because it

I cannot use my kindle which I have had for years because it will not connect to Wifi. It asks for my password XXXXX it never did before - I cannot remember it and have tried so many times that my Kindle screen has gone blank now
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Please press and hold down the POWER BUTTON for 25 seconds until the Kindle restarts. If the Kindle asks for your Wi-Fi password XXXXX please let me know the make/model of your router.
Josh, Technician
Experience: Expert for over 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Mary,

Your response was blank - Please type it again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry but I was unable to type anything the first time. I followed your instructions and my Kindle is again asking for a password XXXXX which I don't know. What do I do now?

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
please let me know the make/model of your router.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is BT Home Hub Admin Password XXXXX

SN:CP1022JH5KY. Also Kindle Model No. D01100.

I had to find magnifying glass.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a Windows 7 computer that is currently currently connected via wireless to the network?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, we are at present connected to the internet. (It probably is windows 7)

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Great --

On that Windows 7 computer..

Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center.

Click on Manage wireless networks on the left pane.

RIGHT click on your network and select Properties

Click on Security tab.

Click Show characters button to reveal and display the actual original network security key on screen

Use that password(displayed in the network key box) to connect to Wifi on the Kindle

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried the password XXXXX three times now to no avail. Each time it shows it finishing with an A but it finishes with a 7

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
If it is finishing with the wrong letter/number then you need to make sure it has the right password
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It appears to be only accepting 14 characters which finishes with A. This leaves another twelve still to be entered.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am getting really confused here. For some reason when I enter my email address it says that someone

else has used it. Also I keep getting email replies and I am trying to concentrate on answers on this web site. Help!

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Mary,

Where are you entering the password XXXXX the wireless password? I am not sure what you mean by 'accepting 14 characters and only finishes with A'
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I look at my kindle, it asks me for my password. I tried entering the number shown under the security tab. It will only accept the fourteen characters ending in A which leaves ten characters still to enter.
Surely this cannot be so difficult - if we were speaking on the telephone we would have finished

hours ago. I feel I haven't progressed at all even though I have paid £28.

Mary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot answer your latest request for a response as

my computer will not allow me to. I have tried emailing you.

I am tearing my hair out here. I did not expect this to take a whole evening.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Mary,

What do you mean the fourteen characters ending in A?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I entered the information shown under show characters button. i.e. EF5FCCAFD2449A. It would not accept the remaining C7152C964637

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
That is way too many characters for a password. Where did you get all of those letters?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Suddenly I was disconnected from the internet so I do not know whether you received my previous message.

When I clicked on Security tab this was what it showed

EF5FCCAFD2449AC7152C964637 -but it will only accept 14 of these. What do I do now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Why am I not hearing anything further from you?

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Mary,

That is what it showed when you selected SHOW CHARACTERS?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that is what it showed.

I have been waiting ages for a reply. I am terribly disappointed in the service - I have been waiting all night for an answer. I am afraid I cannot stay awake any longer. Also I do not think it is Josh's fault as |I am sure he is serving a great number of customers at the same time.

Please answer my questions in the morning.

Mary XXXXXXXXX Order No., XXXXXXXX-XXX

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Mary,

It would be best if I remoted into your computer to view the password XXXXX I can make sure you are looking at the right one.

What time are you available tomorrow after 9am EST?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning Josh

I am available now. Are you still there.

You can remote into my computer.

Mary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am here now if you wish to remote my computer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Josh

It is 10.55am and I am awaiting your response.

Mary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried the exercise again and this time I found a 10 letter password. I tried to enter it into my Kindle but still got the message 'incorrect'.

We now have to leave for an appointment and will not be back till 3 o'clock.

Mary

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mary,

I live in EST (Eastern Standard Timezone) which is why I was not available earlier.

I will be available again after 3pm EST which I believe is 8pm your time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your message. I wondered what EST meant. It is 8o'clock (20.00hrs) and I am by my computer, waiting to hear from you - but do not want to pressurize you.

Mary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is now 9.30 pm and I am still awaiting a reply. I do not think that this is acceptable. If you do not want to help me, please refer me to another technician who will.

Mary

It is now 10.05 and I am closing down until tomorrow morning as I still have not received a suitable reply.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Mary,

It appears we are having a miscommunication. What time tomorrow are you available after 9am EST which is 2pm your time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will be available at 2.30pm our time.

Mary

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Josh

I am now logged on at my computer and available. It is 14.42 our time.

Mary

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
I am here - Are you there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am here awaiting your help.

Mary

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
navigate to http://166.78.231.170:8040/ and type in the code "1" without the quotes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

These are the numbers on my Home Hub which I have tried already and it just keeps saying incorrect!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am afraid even after you remoted my computer it did not come to a satisfactory conclusion as the password would not let me enter my Kindle.

Mary