Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have an old kindle (monochrome) with a keyboard about 3 /4

I have an old kindle (monochrome) with a keyboard about 3 /4 years old .It has been in continuous use throughout this period , has never been fully discharged nor shown any signs of a failing battery or given any signs of any fault. I was reading most of the day yesterday until 7.00 pm but when I picked it up to start reading agin at 10pm the screen looked very peculiar, it had a ghost image of one of the screen savers overlaid with a faint pattern of horizontal and vertical lines and did not respond to the normal wake up or to pressiing any of the keys. I went through the procedure for a frozen screen incuding recharging several times but the only respnse was the appearance of one line at the bottom of the screen showing the instruction how to wake from sleep. This disappeared ontrying the wake up being replaced by a part of the bot***** *****ne of the home page. It looks to me like the thing istrying to work but the screen has packed in. any ideas or do I need a new kindle.I am 83 years old not very mobile and need my Kindle. I have also just bought about £50 worth of e-books. Jim Frew
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.

Even if it does not look like it is charging and even though it may be fully charged charge it using a different wall outlet than you normally do (a different room is best) for at least 10 minutes.

Do not skip that even if it is fully charged from you already plugging it in, it is important to do it.

It sounds like the firmware may be frozen try this and let me know the results hold the power switch for at least 60 seconds.

Try this at least 6 times.

The firmware can sometimes get frozen the same way that a computer will occasionally.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i had tried your suggested remedy to the last lettr but it did not work so i gave after up trying both with it on charge and not charging but fully charged .about 20 times .it was reacting to the on/off switch by the bottom line illuminating with the standard instruction on how to switch on and it disappeared when it was switched .I decided the program was working ok but the fault was in the screen. since all the rest of the screen was still in the same state as when i started. I have ordered a new Kindle .!!!!!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Do you still want to fix this Kindle? As I mentioned in my answer that is the first thing we need to try.
Unfortunately from what you have described if the screen still looks odd it would need a new part.
I can help you find the part and walk you through replacing it if you would like me to.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

forget it .it is too much bother to think of replacing the screen. an exact replacement kindle is only £59. I have ordered a Kindle Fire. thank you for your efforts