Kriptokrit
Kriptokrit, E-Readers Technician
Experience:  Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service.
63849745

About 3/4 days ago after re-charging, my Kindle froze and

About 3/4 days ago after re-charging, my Kindle 'froze' and I was unable to open it. I obtained and followed the recommended '20 second' procedure from the Amazon website, which enabled me to open the Kindle for a short while but on re-opening a while later the screen went blank except for an empty battery, power lead and lightning symbols. I re-charged again but noticed it took considerably longer for the light to change to green than usual.
On re-opening, I noticed the memory had been affected with recent purchases now in random order where usually they are placed newest first e.g. the book I was reading had been on page 1 of 15 appeared on page 5 of 15 and subsequently appeared on page 13 of 15.
The same thing happened after shutting down again i.e. blank screen with symbols and a prolonged re-charging period followed.
This morning the Kindle re-opened OK but the low battery warning appeared within 1 hour of switching on. I checked settings on the Kindle this time to discover that it was dis-connected from the Wi-Fi [not usual unless there is a connection problem with Wi-Fi, which has not happened recently] and would not 'accept' instructions to search and connect. The Kindle is currently on charge [no pun intended].
Any advice you can offer will be much appreciated.
Gareth Thomas
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Kriptokrit replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question Gareth.
I'm Todd and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

To help me better assist you, please tell me:
What is the model of your Kindle? (Fire, Paperwhite, Fire HD etc.)
When did you purchase your Kindle?
Can you confirm that your Kindle did not get wet or physically damaged?
Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Todd

It is none of the types listed but I do not remember the model name. I think it a fairly basic model.

Approximately 4 years ago [a present from my son]

I confirm it has not been damaged in any way or got wet.

Gareth

Thank you for your reply Gareth.
If your Kindle have keyboard, tap Home button >> Menu >> Settings >> Device info.
If it's a kindle touch tap Menu >> Settings >> Tap menu again >> Device info.
If you are able to open Device info page, check for the Kindle model and let me know the model of your Kindle please.
Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Todd

Have opened the Kindle and accessed Settings.

There is no Model name shown but the following is in the footnote:

Version: Kindle 4.1.1(###) ###-####

I trust this helps.

Gareth

Thank you Gareth.
4.1.1 is software version on your Kindle. Is there any number that start with D0 or B0? (for example: B004, B005, B009, D025, D059 etc.).
Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again Todd

Serial Number: B00E 1501 1414 1LCU

Gareth

Great job. Your Kindle model is "Kindle 4" (noTourch Silver).
Your problem sounds like a hardware issue (defective mainboard), but sometimes the same issue can be caused by glitch in the software. Before my final answer, let's check every possibility to be sure what is the problem. If there is no hardware issue on the device, some of the solutions below should resolve this issue.
1. Plug the Kindle into the charger for 5 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes (while still plugged in) press and hold power (slide and hold) button for 35 seconds.
3. Allow up to 3 minutes for the Kindle to reboot.
4. Test your Kindle.
If that doesn't help, please try the next troubleshooting step (skip it if you don't have USB cable).
1. Connect the USB cable to computer (do not connect Kindle).
2. Hold the Power button for 20 seconds.
3. After 20 seconds while still holding Power button, plug the other part of the USB cable in the Kindle.
4. Leave the Kindle for 2 minutes and try to turn it on (hold the Power button for exactly 45 seconds).
If none of the previous solutions help perform the factory reset. Don't worry, none of your books will be lost because all books are stored (and safe) on Amazon cloud.
1. Tap Home button >> Menu >> Settings >> Reset to factory defaults
Or, Tap Menu >> Settings >> Tap menu again >> Reset to factory defaults
2. When done, you will have to register your Kindle using the same Amazon account you have registered right now. As soon as you connect it to wifi, all books will be automatically transferred.
Please try all solutions (step by step) and let me know if that works. I'll be waiting for your reply.
If none of those solutions works or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD service or POOR service. Reply to me using "Reply to Expert" button and I'll provide you with the next step.
Kind Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Todd

I have completed the first set of instructions and successfully re-opened my Kindle but I have been able to achieve this every time I re-charge. What I do not know is how long the charge will hold (possibly a hardware issue i.e.battery?) before I get a repeat of the problem and that might take an hour or two of reading to find out.

Should I proceed now to reset to factory settings using method 3 [I do not have a USB cable to try method 2]?

Is there any way of reinstating the original order of books in the memory?

Gareth

Thank you for additional information Gareth.
Yes, skip the step #2 and please try the factory reset method. Because factory reset will restore software on your device to the factory default you will have to re-arrange books order (or to use one of available orders).
Battery should last minimum 3 years. After 3 years the signs of capacity reduction can appear (won't charge, low battery level etc.).
Keep me updated please. I'll be waiting for your reply.
Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Todd

As the Kindle is 3+years old, there might be a battery problem. Can this be remedied/changed - and if so how - or does it mean the Kindle is now past its 'design life' and need to be changed?

If the latter, not a good situation because you expect more from a product that retails at circa £100 but 'that's life'.

Gareth

Gareth,
You can change the battery on your device, but if there is a problem with the mainboard (device is freezing all the time, problem with the wifi connection, memory reduction etc.) that will not be a good investment.
Good news is that Amazon have the best warranty policy, so they often do replace Kindles out of warranty. At least they would replace it for less than the cost of repairing.
If factory reset doesn't resolve software issue my suggestion will be to contact Amazon instead to repair your Kindle in any of the local repair shops.
Please don't hesitate to ask for more information. I'll happy to help with any follow up questions.
Regards,
Todd