Kriptokrit
Kriptokrit, E-Readers Technician
Experience:  Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service.
63849745

my kindle has a partially frozen screen which will not disappear

my kindle has a partially frozen screen which will not disappear thus only the top two lines of information are shown. how do I unfreeze the screen? I have tried holding the on/off button down for 20secs to no avail.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Kriptokrit replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question.
I'm Todd and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

When did you purchase your Kindle?
Can you confirm that your Kindle did not get wet or physically damaged?
Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Purchased one year ago and yes the kindle was accidently knocked into a bowl of soapy water

Thank you for your reply and additional information.
This problem sounds like a hardware issue (defective screen), but sometimes the same issue can be caused by glitch in the software. If there is no hardware issue on the device, some of the solutions below should resolve this issue. You already tried the first troubleshooting step (20 seconds method), so please proceed to the next one.
Please follow the steps below to reset your device:
1. Press and hold (or slide and hold) the power button for exactly 45 seconds.
2. After 45 seconds, release the power button.
3. Wait 2 minute, then turn on your Kindle.
Please try this procedure at least 3 times (if you have leather cover or any other cover remove it).
If the previous procedure doesn't work, perform the procedure below:
1. Plug the Kindle into the charger for 5 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes (while still plugged in) press and hold power (slide and hold) button for 45 seconds.
3. Allow up to 3 minutes for the Kindle to reboot.
If none of the previous solutions helps, there is 100% defective screen on your Kindle. Replacing the screen on the Kindle would be very expensive since the screen is a majority of the cost of the Kindle. The good news is that if your Kindle is still under Amazon warranty (1-year warranty) you will receive a new Kindle for free.
If your Kindle is out of warranty, the good news is that Amazon does often replace Kindles out of warranty. At least they would replace it for less than the cost of repairing.
You will have to contact your seller or Amazon warranty support service to arrange replacement.
To contact Amazon please use the procedure below. There is an option that Amazon calls you. Please follow the steps below:
1. Go to the page below - click here.
Log in using your Amazon account information.
2. Select Kindle > Kindle Device (or Troubleshooting my Kindle) > Problem with my Kindle > Screen issue or other damage
3. Click Phone - Call us
4. Enter your number and choice "Call me now" or "Call me for 5 minutes".
Please let me know if you are not satisfied with my help (please do not rate my answer negative BAD service or POOR service that will result in a permanent negative feedback on my record (very damaging for me) or if you need more information. I'll be happy to help with any follow up questions.
Best Regards,
Todd
Kriptokrit, E-Readers Technician
Experience: Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service.