Viet - E-Reader Tech
Viet - E-Reader Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot issues with E-Readers.
30037186

Kindle will not switch on although fully charged

Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Viet - E-Reader Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Have you tried this: If you have any cover on the kindle, please remove it for now. Then press & hold (or slide & hold) the power on/off button / switch on the kindle for about 45 seconds, then turn it back on and check.

Is there any power or light at all?

Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry for delay replying, if I hold button down for more than about 20 seconds the light starts flashing then goes off

I'm sorry, that is a sign of hardware issue. Can you try the steps again while it is charging? How old is the kindle?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

18 months old

Unfortunately, your kindle hardware has gone bad; you would need a new one. Do you have a computer or tablet or smartphone, etc.? If you need, in the mean time, I can show you how to read read your books on another device for now. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't think this is good enough, are these Kindles only expected to last such a short time?

No, unfortunately, you got a bad one. Usually, like most tablet / laptop electronics device, it can last around 3 years or so under normal conditions and usage (unless it is dropped or got water in it, or the screen has been exposed in the sun quite a bit, etc.) You never know; I know some kindles has been used for more than 5 years and still are working; but some even got broken when they are still under warranty (one year.) Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They do not tell you this when you buy them.

If I cannot turn this on, can I still transfer contents?

Sorry, when you buy any electronics device, i.e., desktop, laptop, tablet, kindle, smartphone, etc., the normal warranty is one-year. Then usually, they give you the option to buy extended warranty if you want. Do you mean transferring your books? Is there anything else? Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I have many books which are very good and I want to keep plus 4 new books which I have not yet read

Yes, of course, all your books will automatically download to the new kindle after setting it up. Also, all your books are in your Amazon account at the Amazon website:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/manageyourkindle

In the mean time, you can still read your books on your computer, or tablet, etc. You use the Kindle program / app:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000493771

You can get back to me any time if there is any issue with setting up the new kindle or reading books on your current device, if any. Thank you,